Be the first to like this
Birkirkara's big bell
The parish of Birkirkara’s big bell was made by the Barigozzi Bell foundry of Milan, and was the third to arrive at St. Helen's basilica after the first two, locally made, proved unsuccessful.
On January 17, 1932, the big bell was ceremoniously taken to the church square and placed on the basilica's parvis. Five days later, Helena, as this bell was appropriately called, was blessed by the Bishop of Malta, Mgr Maurus Caruana, and two days later it was hoisted up to its place in the church steeple. It was rung for the first time the following day - on the feast of St Paul.