• Protocols Used in VPN
• Where its used
• Definition : VPN means Virtual Private Network, a secure tunnel between two
• A Virtual Private Network (VPN) is a network technology that creates a secure
network connection over a public network such as the Internet or a private network
owned by a service provider.
• VPN is method used to add security and privacy to private and public networks
Here is what happens when using internet with VPN and without VPN
Protocols Used in VPN
• There are a number of VPN protocols in use that secure the transport of
data traffic over a public network infrastructure. Some of them are listed
• IP security (IPSec)
• Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)
• Transport Layer Security (TLS)
• Point-To-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP)
Where its Used:
• If a multinational company wants to communicate or share something with
his clients that are located at different place or different countries, they can
communicate, then VPN extends the network to that authenticated users.
• In banking VPN enables account information to be transferred safely within
departments and branches.
• Virtual private networks offer a much higher level of secure communication when
compared to other remote methods of communication.
• By using a VPN companies view this as one of the safest ways to link users together that are
distributed across multiple locations.
• When it comes to operating a VPN within an organization the costs are significantly lower
than other types of configurations, the opportunity to communicate securely at low cost in
other parts of the world.
• Virtual private networks are very flexible in terms of growing with the company and adding
new users to the network.
• Virtual private networks offer more flexibility for business partners to communicate over a
Disadvantages of VPN
• The design and security implementation for a virtual private network can be
complex. This means that it requires a professional with a high level of
understanding for the best type of VPN configuration and some of the security
issues that can occur when using a VPN.
• Reliability can become a factor depending upon the service provider that you
• If it happens to be necessary to create additional infrastructure the solutions can
become incompatible and cause technical issues.
• The use of mobile devices to initiate connectivity to the virtual private network can
cause security issues especially if the connection is wireless
• In my point of view, the conclusion is:
• VPN eliminates the need of long distance lines.
• Reduces the long distance telephone charges.
• Reduces the Operational costs.