Welcome to the SIGMS Forum! E x p a n d e d L e a r n in g O p p o r t u n it ie s w it h S o c ia l M e d ia F o r u m h a s h t a g : #s i g m s f o r u m Forum w e bpa g e :h t t p : //s i g m s . i s t e . w i k i s p a c e s . n e t /s i g m s f o r u m 12
Social Media Activity #1 Pinterest Jason Epstein
Social Media, Learning,and the Critical Role of Librarians Steve Hargadon
The Future of Education: Social Media, Learning, andthe Critical Role of Librarians
Were goingthrough thebiggestchanges inhuman culturein centuries,maybe ever
“Liber” 1. Book (noun) 2. Free (adjective) Inner bark, paper Contracts, read & write Slave or Free
A Tech Shift A Culture Shift An Education Shift
To your neighbor:How is educationgoing to change?
Most Populous Countries China - 1,313,973,713 India - 1,095,351,995 Facebook – 901,000,000+ United States – 300,176,035 Indonesia – 245,452,739 Brazil – 188,078,227 Pakistan - 165,803,560 Bangladesh - 147,365,352 Russia – 142,893,540 Nigeria - 131,859,731 Japan - 127,463,611
Who is on the frontline of this change? You are.
How do we help create and support the Learning Agent?
The Learning Agents Action List For Lead Learners
1. (Re-)Discover Your PassionsWhat do you love doing?What do you love learning about? Experience a “cognitive revolution”
2. Build Your Personal Learning Network (PLN)Who do you learn from?What tools do you use?What role does Twitter play?
3. Start Building aPersonal Web Presence (PWP) How do you feel about this? Personal “branding” = “how you help others”Aggregate your interests, your ideas, and your profile. Register a domain name.
4. Develop Your Online “Habitudes”What are your emotional or practical barriers?What can you be modeling for your students?
5. Become a Part of the Conversation Write Somewhere Share SomehowWhere Did You Start?
6. Build, Curate, or Participate in a Passion ProjectStart or contribute to a wiki. Start or help build a community. Host a PD workshop or “unconference.”