MOHAMAD ISHAK BIN TOGIMIN
A database administrator is a person responsible for the
installation, configuration, upgrade, administration,
monitoring and maintenance of databases in an organization.
The role includes the development and design of database
strategies, system monitoring and improving database
performance and capacity, and planning for future expansion
oKnowledge of database theory.
oKnowledge of database design.
oKnowledge about the RDBMS itself.
oKnowledge of Structured Query Language (SQL).
oGeneral understanding of distributed computing
oGeneral understanding of the underlying operating system.
oGeneral understanding of storage technologies, memory
management, disk arrays, networking.
Employers require a Bachelor's Degree or higher in
Computer Science, Engineering or related field to perform
job duties as a Database Administrator.
Most commercial databases like SQL Server, Oracle, Mongo
are highly complex.
1. Installing and upgrading the database server and
2. Allocating system storage and planning future storage
requirements for the database system
3. Modifying the database structure, as necessary, from
information given by application developers verbally
4. Enrolling users and maintaining system security
5. Ensuring compliance with database vendor license
6. Controlling and monitoring user access to the database
7. Monitoring and optimizing the performance of the
8. Planning for backup and recovery of database
9. Maintaining archived data
10. Backing up and restoring databases
11. Contacting database vendor for technical support
12. Generating various reports by querying from database as
LEVEL OF DBA
1. Data analysts/query designers
2. Junior DBAs
3. Midlevel DBAs
4. Senior DBAs
5. DBA consultants
6. Manager/Director of Database Administration/Information