Aims of the lesson
• To understand the difference
between Prejudice and
• To be able to explain what
• To be able to list 3 grounds of
FEMALE MALE BLACK HAIR
BLONDE HAIR TALL SHORT
BALD HEAD MOUSTASHE OLD (ABOVE 50)
YOUNG (20-30) WHITE SKIN BROWN SKIN
BLACK SKIN OLD LADY (70
BIG BUILD BEARD WEARS GLASSES
You are an FBI agent
You are living in America, and have been urgently called to the office
to deal with suspected terrorists from around the world. A bomb is going to go off
in the next 6 hours. The terrorists, who have planted the bomb
have been caught amongst a group of ordinary civilians and their images have
been sent to you.
Unfortunately the images are all mixed up and therefore you need to decide
just from their appearance who out the group you would call in for further
The safety of the world rests in your hands. Discuss with your fellow Agents in
groups of 4.
What is a Stereotype?
• A commonly held belief or beliefs about a
group of people.
• It may be based on skin colour, culture,
religion, nationality, sexual orientation,
weight, age or hair colour.
• The belief may be based on what people see
from the media, even though some reports
may be biased.
What is prejudice?
Thinking badly of a group without good
It is usually a feeling towards a
group of dislike.
Treating people unfairly because of their
Can be DIRECT or INDIRECT
Direct- e.g. shouting abuse at someone because of their
Indirect- making rules that disadvantage one group
e.g. not allowing woman to teach football at school
Some Groups who are Discriminated
There maybe others….
Look at the articles
• Write down:
• 1. which group is being discriminated against
• 2. who is doing the discrimination
• 3. What is the ground for discrimination e.g.
Age, Sex (gender), Sexual orientation, Race,
• Before you leave the lesson you need to
tell the teacher one form of discrimination,
e.g. sexual orientation.
• Rules are that you cannot repeat what
your the last person has just said.