Enhancing and hindering factors in effective WASH in Schools, Nakuru Kenya
Supporting water sanitation
and hygiene services for life
hindering factors in
effective WASH in
March 17th 2016
Main focus on the agenda this morning
1. Reflect on building blocks towards
successful WASH in schools
2. Remaining key challenges
3. Focus on key messages
4. Possible follow up
Building blocks for success for WASH
in schools: blocks for success for WASH
in schools: Child-friendly, gender sensitive facilities (hardware-
Life-skills based on hygiene education (software- behaviour)
Cooperate with parents and community (partially beh. &
Incorporate long-term goals in the planning process
Enter into joint partnerships with others dealing with school
Create an enabling policy environment (Int. and political)
WASH in schools workshop
December 11-12th 2013 4
Building blocks for success: WASH in schools
Solid & long
WASH in Schools: institutions and
Key questions about schools in Nakuru?
What are the settings of interests/challenges specifically
for schools in Nakuru?
What are the key challenges at the district/
national/country level relating to monitoring at schools?
Are there any innovative solutions at the national/country level
around monitoring for schools?
What are the drivers for change at schools within the
context of the enabling WASH environment in Nakuru?
Enabling environment around WASH in
Schools: Call for Action (UNICEF & IRC)
- Key Message 1 – Increased Investment in WASH in Schools now and for
generations to follow
• Emphasising the balance of software and hardware in schools.
Key Message 2: Engage those who set policies
• Continue to advocate recognition in key documents which stresses the
importance of WASH in schools.
Key Message 3: Involve Multiple Stakeholders
• Explore the involvement of and collaboration with other initiatives such
as the Global Handwashing day, World toilet day and others.
Key Message 4: Demonstrate Quality WASH in Schools projects
• Encourage the focus on simple, sustainable, scalable WASH in schools
Key Message 6: Contribute Evidence
• Reflect critically on the type of research methodology and tools that are
used for gathering data, and explore the use of alternative methodologies.
Key Message 5: Monitoring WASH in Schools Programmes
• Continue to develop WASH in Schools monitoring packages at national
and district level that encourage monitoring WASH in schools programmes
Some key resources
Key website for all WASH in schools documents:
Some suggested key documents: