BACKGROUND OF THE ESTABLISHMENT
• AEON CO. (M) BHD. is a leading retailer in Malaysia with total revenue
of RM3.26 billion for the financial year ended 31 December 2012.
• The Company was incorporated on 15 September 1984.
• AEON CO. (M) BHD. (AEON or the Company) was set up in response to
the Malaysian Government‟s invitation to AEON Japan to help modernize
the retailing industries in Malaysia.
• The „AEON‟ name today is well established among Malaysians as well as
foreigners, especially due to its association with the international AEON
Group of Companies.
• At all times, in every market, AEON‟s activities are guided by its
unchanging „Customer First‟ philosophy.
• AEON BIG (M) SDN BHD ( formerly known as Magnificient Diagraph
( hereinafter referred to as “AEON BIG” ) AEON Co. Ltd. From Japan
has recently taken over AEON BIG on the 1st of November 2012.
• Following from the said takeover, AEON BIG is currently managing
and operating 27 stores which comprise of hypermarkets and
supermarkets in Malaysia. All the aforesaid stores (formerly under
the trademark of “CARREFOUR” ) are currently undergoing the
rebranding exercise under the new management.
• AEON BIG has a wealth of hypermarket know-how inherited from
“CARREFOUR” which started as the pioneer developer of the
“hypermarket” concept in Malaysia in 1994 and “CARREFOUR” is
one of the world‟s most successful hypermarket chains with more
than 9,500 stores in 32 countries around the world
• The hypermarket concept of AEON BIG offers one-stop shopping,
self service, customer convenience facilities, free parking
(selected store only) and low price on a wide range of fresh produce
and non-food categories.
• It is also one of the hypermarkets to offer 100% refund policy
that protects the consumer’s right against defective goods.
• A retailer‟s array of goods is called its assortment. Assortment refers to
the range of stock, or total selection, a retailer carries, whether it is
full, limited, or specialty, 13-14.
• Assortment breadth (width) is the number of different item categories
or classiﬁcations offered by a retailer, regardless of how many of each
category is stocked.
• Assortment depth indicates the quantity of each item available in the
assortment of goods offered to customers.
• Three different approaches to stock depth and breadth are (A) broad
and shallow, (B) narrow and deep, and (C) moderate breadth and
depth. These are illustrated in 13-15. Stores that carry a broad and
shallow assortment stock small amounts of many different styles.
Upscale, prestige retailers tend to stock broad and shallow assortments.
They offer small stocks of many styles in limited sizes and colors
because their customers desire exclusivity.
Stores that cater to mid-range fashion and quality might stock moderate breadth and
Customers shop with retailers that provide services comparable to the prices they
are paying. The amount of service corresponds with the price/quality level, whether
self-service, limited service, or full-service. The services mix is one of the key non
price tools for setting retailers apart from each other. For instance, companies might
decide to lengthen their credit payment terms or extend their evening hours to
differentiate their store from their competitors.
Discount stores, featuring low prices, offer only basic customer services, such as
free parking, credit, and merchandise return privileges. Traditional department
stores provide additional customer services, such as gift wrapping, repair
services, and alterations. Exclusive stores might provide special services , such as a
store employee delivering an evening dress and making sure it ﬁts the customer
properly, or helping a customer coordinate a dress, shoes, and jewelry.
Services encourage customers to stay in the store as long as possible. The store
provides all the needed services to keep customers there to make more purchases.
They don‟t have to leave to put money in a parking meter or use a rest room
elsewhere. Customer services will be discussed more completely later in this
Store Design And Visual Merchandise
Store Front Design
- Slow-tempo music in supermarket
encourage people to move slowly.
- Wet market product such like fresh product
is separate located from others product.
• Service provided to the customer prior to entering the store.
• Example: Parking Lot, trolly and catalog
• Services provided to customers when they are in the store
shopping & transacting business.
• Example: Credit card mechine, gift wrapping and packaging
• Services provided to customers after they have purchased
merchandise or services.
• Example : Complaint and suggestion box. Customer Services.
Advertising and Promotion
• Is paid, non-personal communication through various media by business
firms, that inform or persuade members of a particular audience.
Aeon big has own website, Facebook and Instagram to promote their promotion of
product to customer. Beside that, easily to company to have a communication with
-Facebook : Aeon Big
-Instagram : MYAEONBIG
• Involves the use of media and non-media marketing pressure applied
for a Pre-determined.
- Aeon big also provide to do free member card to get more regular customers.
- Lifetime membership
- Instant cash rebates (Redemption using points with your member card)
- Earn 50 Aeon big eco points (When you shop using any AEON BIG recycle bag on
- RM1 = 1 POINT
- Through the 100 Doraemon Secret Gadgets Expo in Malaysia, Aeon Big is doing a
promotion AEON BIG Malaysia 100 Design 3” Doraemon figurine is available for
collection from 15 January until 14 April 2014.
- During festival celebration, Aeon big will do promotion and discount to their
customer. To attract more customer to shopping when festival celebration.
• AEON Co. Ltd, the biggest retail group from Japan has recently
taken over AEON BIG on 1 November 2012. Following the said
takeover, AEON BIG launched its Orange Campaign for its
advertising and promotion activities.
• During the launch, AEON BIG also unveiled its Orange Campaign
series. The bright orange color will give people a fresh outlook and
an energetic feeling. As for the five lovely items – The Happy Family
Orange Badges, these indicate a happy and joyous family.
• At the end of the year AEON BIG is also launching their private
brand – TopValue, with over 500 products to choose from.