Welcome to this presentation about the IOE Academic Writing Centre. The centre is staffed by a friendly, knowledgeable and supportive group of specialist tutors who use the latest ideas and research in the field to ensure high-quality, flexible and engaging opportunities for IOE students who want to develop their academic writing.
Academic reading and writing form an important part of the learning process in higher education. Selecting appropriate reading resources and writing critically about theory and research can be challenging for all students, regardless of language and background. We believe that developing academic reading and writing are at the heart of studying, and that developing writing is part of the learning process and an essential element of success in our programmes. All IOE students are welcome to attend our free classes or use our resources to improve clarity, criticality and precision in their writing and academic communication.
We offer a range of courses. These include a presessional course offered to students before they begin their studies at the IOE, a range of short insessional courses during the academic year, and also specialist sessions integrated into several IOE programmes. We also provide one-to-one tutorials available in a range of formats, and popular book and web-based resources.
For students whose first language is not English, we offer an IOE-specific presessional course which is suitable for students with IELTS scores ranging for 5.5 to 6.5. Students are required to attend for 12, 8 or 6 weeks, according to their current language level. This is a highly successful course which not only improves language proficiency, but also thoroughly prepares students for all aspects of academic studies in the field of Education.
During the academic year, we also offer a wide range of free short courses to help IOE students to develop ‘academic literacies’. These consist of 2-hour sessions offered at various times throughout the week, including Saturday mornings. Courses last 4 or 8 weeks, with many popular courses repeated throughout the year. These are small-group interactive sessions, open to both international and ‘home’ students and are focused on a wide range of topics.
Here you can see a list of some of our insessional courses, covering a range of common areas of interest to our students, such as: using grammar effectively in writing, understanding how to use references correctly, giving effective presentations, and structuring a high-quality dissertation.
In addition to our group classes, we also offer short one-to-one tutorials to help IOE students develop their writing. These are normally conducted face-to-face, but phone or Skype appointments are also available. The tutorials are confidential, developmental and supportive and are focused on helping students’ to develop their academic ‘voice’ and confidence through writing.
In addition to courses and tutorials, we offer resources for independent study. One example is our popular book, entitled the ‘Student Writing Guide’. This is a clear and practical guide to academic writing, and is available from the IOE bookshop. It covers all major aspects of academic writing, and includes various examples and activities.
We also offer online writing resources on our website. These are clear, practical and include examples of various text types. The website also includes videos, useful links and activities aimed at improving student writing, and is constantly under development as we improve and update our resources.
For more information including how to register for courses, please look at our website. If you have any further enquiries, email the address given on the slide. We hope that we will be able to help you during your studies at the IOE.
Academic writing induction 2014
Why is writing important?
• Academic writing and communication can be
challenging for all students
• Reading and writing are at the heart of studying, and
developing writing is part of the learning process
• Everyone can benefit from focusing on writing to
improve clarity, criticality and precision
What do we offer?
• A presessional course for students whose IELTS
scores range from 5.5 – 6.5
• A wide range of free insessional courses offered
during the academic year to all IOE students
• Sessions within academic programmes
• One-to-one tutorials available face-to-face, on the
phone or via Skype
• A book and a website resource to support writing
• This is offered three times a year, for our three entry
• Suitable for students whose English language test
scores range from 5.5 – 6.5
• A highly interactive and intensive course focused on
preparing for academic studies in Education
• Normally 10 weekly 2-hour classes offered at a range
of times, including Saturdays
• Courses last 4 or 8 weeks and are repeated
• Small-group interactive sessions
• Open to both international and ‘home’ students
• Focused on a range of topics
Some insessional courses
• English for Academic Purposes
• Grammar for Academic Writing
• Referencing, Citation and Quotation
• Seminar Speaking and Presenting
• Listening to Lectures
• Reading and Writing Critically
• Dissertation Writing
• Half-hour appointments
• Face-to-face, phone or Skype
• Confidential, developmental and supportive
• Focused on developing students’ academic ‘voice’
Student Writing Guide
• Clear and practical guidebook
• Covers all major aspects of academic writing
• Available from the IOE bookshop