Introduction to gamedesign
• I didnt know what to expect from this course before I
started it, but this is, in short terms, what I feel I have
• The most important thing I learned taking this course was the
many different ways there are to look at games. I feel more
able to see differences.
• I belive I have a deeper understanding now about how a
game are built up and what to think about when analysing
Heroes of Might and Magic III
• I chose to analyse the game Heroes of
Might and Magic III, and the subject I
“Understanding rules and narrative”
Heroes of Might and Magic is a strategy
game from 1999. It is made by New World
Computing and the 3DO company.
• In the game you are supposed to win against other
fictional heroes by taking all their castles and kill all their
• You play either alone or in multiplayer mode.
• There are six different types of castles to chose
between, all with different looks and different creatures.
The previous was a scene from one of the castles, and
this one is from a successful battle .
Heroes of Might and Magic are
supposed to be a kind of
popular game if you read a little
bit about it. And it was
interesting to test my own
oppinion by analysing the game
• The subject I used to pick the game appart was rules and
narratives. I read about how rules work and what they are. I also
tried to understand the exact meaning of narratives, how it effects
the game and the potential problems.
• I realized that there are a lot of unneccesary and really enoying
narratives in my game.
• Also that there needs to be a good balance in the rules so that the
game is neather to hard nor to easy.
• And, to be able to do all this, the creator can never forget who
the game are made for and that it is made to be played by,
hopefuly, many people. The creator needs to be open for new
ideas to make a game good and has to test it on many types of
people and in many stages of the making.
As I finished writing my analyse it came to
think about that I really used to like playing
Heroes of Might and Magic III (I still do.. )
But now I think that it is a little bit to big, to
many opitions with the same outcome.
Though it is entertaining to play HOMM,
now I see the mistakes in the gamedesign
Well, hope you all found it
interesting to read and that your
own game was fun to play and
/ Ylva Sundström