Topic: How to make a Tie-Dye T-shirt
Description of the Activity
This activity is about how to make a tie-dye t-shirt. This activity is a simple one that
even the younger ones can do, with the supervision of their parents of course. This is called tie-
dye because we use strings to tie the shirts. In that way, the strings can hold or put designs on it.
The following are the objective of the said activity:
- To demonstrate how we can put art on plain white t-shirts
- To express the creativeness of one’s person
Estimated Duration: 5-10 minutes
- White t-shirt
- Fabric dye, any color(s) : may be liquid or powder
- Rubber bands / strings
- Plastic sheet / garbage bag
- Bucket or bowl, you will need one each for each color you choose
- Rubber gloves
- Pair of scissors
• Everything will be provided by the group.
A. Background on what a tie-dye shirt is
B. The Actual Demonstration
1. Spread the plastic sheet or the garbage bag.
2. Mix the fabric dye with the water.
3. Create a design with the use of the rubber bands. You may choose any of the following:
a. Random Pattern- gather cloth together and shape into a ball. Wrap several
rubber bands around it in a haphazard fashion, take care to retain the round
b. Spiral Pattern- Lay fabric flat, select a center point and twist clockwise to make
a tight bundle...bind with rubber bands, making six or more pie shaped wedges.
c. Vertical stripes – Fold sections of the t-shirt and wrap them with the rubber
Note: You cannot predict the patterns of your shirt.
4. Dip or put the t-shirt unto the mixture.
5. After dying, squeeze the excess dye and leave it to dry. Do not remove the rubber bands
until it dries.
6. After it dries, wash it alone. After the shirt has been washed the first time, it can be
washed with other clothes without a concern for color bleeding.