US Securities Law Rooted inDDReaction to 1929 Stock Market Crash. Until they are traded on a public stock exchange, start-ups source of money limited to: • Financial institutions • Wealthy Individuals • Friends and Family • Debt
EMERGING ISSUEOxford English Dictionarythe practice of funding a project or venture byraising many small amounts of money from alarge number of people, typically via the Internet.
• Only sought $100,000• Donors received perks, but no equity• JOBS Act In 2013, can issue securities to raise up to $1M via crowd-funding
[Industry] self-regulation of privacy hasnot worked adequately and is notworking adequately for Americansconsumers. We deserve far better fromthe companies we entrust our data to,and industry, as a whole, must do better. FTC Chairman Jon Leibowitz
• Easily Understandable Policies• Use Consistent with Collection• Secure and Responsible Handling of Data• Access to Ensure Accuracy• Focused Collection• Accountability
• Federal – Google Pays $22.5 Million Fine to FTC (August 2012)• State – California Attorney General announces creation of Privacy Enforcement Unit (July 2012) – New President of National Association of Attorneys General to make privacy top priority (August 2012)
• Blogger Disclosure of Paid Relationship • Updating DotCom Disclosures forEMERGING ISSUE Social Media
• New gTLDs and Domain Name Issues• Counterfeiting – Nearly 800 Domain Names Seized in last 2 years• Cyber-Smearing
+• Founder of Internet Law Center in Santa Monica• Former Co-Chair of California Bar Cyberspace Committee. Launched effort and contributed to development of primer on cyber law for state policymakers.• Host of Cyber Law & Business Report on WebmasterRadio.fm (Weds at 10-11AM PT).• Publisher of Cyber Report newsletter which won top prize at 2011 LA Press Club Awards and named a top source for internet law.• Award-winning columnist.