Successfully reported this slideshow.
We use your LinkedIn profile and activity data to personalize ads and to show you more relevant ads. You can change your ad preferences anytime.

Victoria Preston and Igor Merheim-Eyre: Bridging the Narrative Gap Through Culture and Commerce

10 views

Published on

Integration conference "My home, our home: what unites us in a multicultural community" on 15th and 16th November in Tallinn, Estonia. Conference webpage: www.integrationconference.ee

Published in: News & Politics
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

Victoria Preston and Igor Merheim-Eyre: Bridging the Narrative Gap Through Culture and Commerce

  1. 1. Bridging the Narrative Gap Through Culture and Commerce Victoria Preston (King’s College London, United Kingdom) Igor Merheim-Eyre (International Republican Institute, Belgium)
  2. 2. • Conditions of the individual (e.g. social, economic, or personal) • Frustration with the direction of the country or a bigger polis (e.g. the EU) • Existing prejudices inherent in a given society • Lack of knowledge and a fear of the unknown ‘Other’ • Weak democratic institutions • Narratives targeting specific groups (e.g. conservative segments of the society) • Narratives often based on genuine concerns but increasingly tailored to appeal to emotions Societal vulnerabilities
  3. 3. Narratives – Case study of the Czech Republic and Slovakia • Western moral degeneracy • Putin’s Russia as a defender of traditional values • Migration destroying our/European culture • Religion-based values are incompatible with liberal democracy • Western subjugation of Central-Eastern Europe • Loss of national independence and sovereignty • Peace in Europe is threatened • Russia has a legitimate right to a sphere of influence
  4. 4. How do we respond?
  5. 5. Negative Rhetoric Lowers Trust Audiences turn to native language media Exacerbates Divisions The problem
  6. 6. • Paradigm of externalities – history, nationality, language, ethnicity, ‘otherness’ • Emotional rhetoric emphasises differences in values or identity. • Broadly binary narrative of ‘us and them’. • Limited focus on diversity and inclusion. • Absence of narrative on Estonia’s social vision or goal. Communication features
  7. 7. • The debate is framed by narratives about geo-politics, nationality, language and socio-economic issues. • But in strategic communications, before we attempt to address any problem, we go right back to basics to reframe it. • So what does this particular problem look like if we reframe it? Re-framing the problem
  8. 8. Defining the Goal
  9. 9. • It’s not just about media and rhetoric: there are underlying structural considerations. • Ethnic inequality - Bad for social cohesion and prosperity; disrupts trust and loyalty to the state; can generate internal as well as external security issues. • Gender inequality – If you don’t develop and reward all your available talent, you cannot compete with countries that do. What are the obstacles?
  10. 10. • Start with 100% adult population fit and available for work (OECD figure for Estonia is c. 845,000) • Deduct 25% to account for the ethnic Russians who are typically educationally disadvantaged (Lindemann & Saar 2012) • That leaves 75%. Deduct 50% to account for gender inequality (Statistics Estonia estimate gender pay gap in Estonia is the worst in EU at 20.9% ) • That leaves 37.5% of your workforce fully trained and fairly rewarded. (c. 316,000) • What if the football team looked like this? Some rough maths (not statistics!)
  11. 11. • History dictates the present, but it need not compromise the future. • Building a fairer and more equal society will take generations to achieve. • Structural and constitutional change is necessarily cautious and slow. • But social enterprises and the arts can afford to take bigger risks. • Let’s look at some cultural case studies, then generate a few ideas. Change takes time
  12. 12. Said-Barenboim West-Eastern Divan Orchestra Inter-cultural projects
  13. 13. Bethnal Green City Challenge
  14. 14. • Grand Union Youth Orchestra/Shoreditch youth Dance and Malmo Youth Dance Company (GUYO/SYD/MYDC) • El Sistema – Venezuela Socially-Inclusive Projects
  15. 15. Grand Union - SYD - MYDC
  16. 16. El Sistema
  17. 17. Relief & Reconciliation Inter-faith projects
  18. 18. Conclusions 1. EMOTION: Identity, nationality, language, security are highly emotive concepts, here as elsewhere. 2. RHETORIC: There is an opportunity here to reframe the public conversation using a more collective narrative, and a more inclusive vocabulary. 3. ACTION: While resolving structural obstacles to diversity and inclusion is a longer- term challenge (in Estonia and in the UK) there is an opportunity to make a difference to the lives of many individuals in the near term through social enterprise and the arts.
  19. 19. Thank you for your ideas and participation!

×