How open collaboration helps disaster- affected people http://sinsai.info/
• What happened after the earthquake?• What is sinsai.info? and its challenges ?• What can you do to help?
• Lives in London• In charge of international communication at sinsai.info (@sinsai_info_en)• A developer (Ruby On Rails) with No prior volunteer experience nor interests until Mar 11th 2011
• More than 14,000 people were killed.• There are still another 13,000 people missing. http://www.flickr.com/photos/dugspr/5541815267/in/set-72157626305323978
• Roads were completely disrupted.• Electricity and cell-phones were washed away.• Cell-phone were useless more than 24hrs even in Tokyo. http://www.flickr.com/photos/dugspr/5549191112/in/set-72157626305323978
• Data explosion• Data curation• Curated system
- Report by NEC Big Globe- 3/11 ~ 4/11- 73,694,790- Average Tweet per day (before) = 18,000,000- Average Tweet per day (3/11) = 33,000,000- Average Tweet per day (after) = 22,000,000 http://gigazine.net/news/20110427_earthquake_twitter/
- Report by NEC Big Globe- 3/11 ~ 4/11 - Before (31 % entertaintment, 25 % animation,- 73,694,790 7% transportation, 5% earthquake)- Average Tweet per day (before) = 18,000,000 - After (72% earthquake, 8% transportation)- Average Tweet per day (3/11) = 33,000,000- Average Tweet per day (after) = 22,000,000 http://gigazine.net/news/20110427_earthquake_twitter/
- initially people were spreadinghashtags- Twitter announced official hashtagsand advised not to put more than 2hashtags per t weet. #311sppt is onlyfor people requesting help from thedisaster area
@takepon_jp [pls RT] Looking for my friends, 20 yrs old, height 150cm, black hair with partially blonde
@takepon_jp [pls RT] Looking for my friends, 20 yrs old, height 150cm, black hair with partially blondeCelebs with many followers acted as hubs to spreadimportant information
John Roos is US ambassador to Japan Some people were directly reaching influential figureshttp://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2011-04-11-japan-social-media_N.htm
“Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft fromhere will join others from around the world. Andyou will be launching the largest rescue in thishistory of mankind.......” - Operation “Tomodachi” - http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2011-04-11-japan-social-media_N.htm
“Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest aerial battle in this history of mankind........” - Independence Day , President Speech -http://longtailworld.blogspot.com/2011/03/operation-tomodachi-is-real-but-obamas.html http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2011-04-11-japan-social-media_N.htm
- Confused information (Partially correct)- Lack of scientific backing- False announcement- Criticising / praising government, politicalparties, celebrities, companies- Joke, Racism Not all the information was curated properly. The use of unofficial “RT” made it difficult to delete the original t weet even after the information is false. Twitter announced to encourage the use of official t weet http://www.kotono8.com/2011/04/08dema.html http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2011-04-11-japan-social-media_N.htm
- Google person finder- launched after 2 hrs- over 600,000 records- Integrated with Picassa to convert name list fromevacuation Center into the system with crowd source.
We need help! We are stuck inisolation at Akasaka hospital and getting suffer. Please spread this information to the others. I made a phone-call to Self- Defence force and they said they would go help ASAP ...
• Geo tagged report using Open Street Map• Directly from the form & via twitter• Monitored , geotagged, and moderated by volunteers• Launched within 4 hrs
Sahana is developered after 2004 Indonesia Tsunamie - Organization Registry (OR) - Request Management System (RMS): - Hospital Management System (HMS) - Food Cluster Food Request Portal (FRP): Working in collaboration with Hyogon Techhttp://www.slideshare.net/nyampire/sahana- lightningtalk-20110423-7715203
• Running by volunteers• Main Open Street Map Foundation Japan (NPO)• Volunteers (Active) people increasing - Moderators about 40 - Developers about 30 people - Translators about 10 people• Supporting companies NTT, NTT Data) - 15 companies (Amazon,Yahoo,
Open SourceOpen Data encourages mash ups.http://wiki.ushahidi.com/doku.php?id=ushahidi_api Open Collaboration Open to Global http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/misswired/440919666/sizes/l/
•Donation to Japan http://www.google.com/intl/en/crisisresponse/japanquake2011.html•Ideas, Suggestions, funding•Get Involved http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/dugspr/5572695671/
•More skills, knowledges, and experiences can be shared, if we use common tools across different crisis Why GPS was launched within 2hrs, and sinsai.info within 4hrs? Because they have been used in different crisis. http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/dugspr/5572695671/