Saint Valentines DaySaint Valentines Day, better known as simply Valentines Day, is the annual commemoration of lovecelebrated on February 14. Valentines Day was created by Pope Gelasius I in 500 AD to honor theChristian martyrs named Valentine. The religious observance of the day was deleted by Pope PaulVI from the Roman calender of saints in 1969 but is still often permitted. Valentines Day was firstrelated to romantic love by Geoffrey Chaucer during the Middle Ages. Until the 19th centuryhandwritten valentines were often given rather than modern mass-produced greeting cards.Valentines Day is often celebrated with expressions of love, and gifts of chocolates, flowers, andcards known as "valentines." Symbols of modern Valentines Day include heart shapes, figures ofwinged Cupid, and doves. To celebrate the exchange of loving words to honor Valentines Day, hereare the 101 Best Valentines Day Quotes:1. "When love is not madness, it is not love."Pedro Calderon de la Barca2. "Oh, if it be to choose and call thee mine, love, thou art every day my Valentine!"Thomas Hood3. "Many are the starrs I see, but in my eye no starr like thee."English phrase on poesy rings4. "Loving is not just looking at each other, its looking in the same direction."Antoine de Saint-Expuery, Wind, Sand, and Stars, 19395. "Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love."Albert Einstein6. "I dont understand why Cupid was chosen to represent Valentines Day. When I think aboutromance, the last thing on my mind is a short, chubby toddler coming at me with a weapon."Unknown7. "For you see, each day I love you moreToday more than yesterday and less than tomorrow."Rosemonde Gerard8. "Love is a symbol of eternity. It wipes out all sense of time, destroying all memory of abeginning and all fear of an end."Unknown9. "Love - a wildly misunderstood although highly desirable malfunction of the heart whichweakens the brain, causes eyes to sparkle, cheeks to glow, blood pressure to rise, and the lips topucker."Unknown10. "I claim there aintAnother SaintAs great as Valentine."Ogden Nash11. "Trip over love, you can get up. Fall in love and you fall forever."Unknown
12. "Anyone can catch your eye, but it takes someone special to catch your heart."Unknown13. "A hundred hearts would be too fewTo carry all my love for you."Unknown14. "You have to walk carefully in the beginning of love; the running across fields into your loversarms can only come later when youre sure they wont laugh if youtrip."Jonathan Carroll "Outside The Dog Museum"15. "We are all a little weird and lifes a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness iscompatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love."Unknown16. "Must, bid the Morn awake1Sad Winter now declines,Each bird doth choose a mate;This days Saint Valentines.For that good bishops sakeGet up and let us seeWhat beauty it shall beThat Fortune us assigns."Michael Drayton17. "Love is a smoke made with the fume of sighs."William Shakespeare18. "kisses are a better fate than wisdom."e.e. cummings19. "If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?"Unknown20. "Who, being loved, is poor?"Oscar Wilde21. "In melody divine,My heart it beats to rapturous love,I long to call you mine."Unknown22. "Grow old with me! The best is yet to be."Robert Browning23. "Without love, what are we worth? Eighty-nine cents! Eighty-nine cents worth of chemicalswalking around lonely."Hawkeye, from M*A*S*H24. "The hours I spend with you I look upon as sort of a perfumed garden, a dim twilight, and afountain singing to it. You and you alone make me feel that I am alive. Other men it is said haveseen angels, but I have seen thee and thou art enough."George Moore25. "We loved with a love that was more than love."Edgar Allen Poe26. "Love is the magician that pulls man out of his own hat."Ben Hecht
27. "Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those whogrieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love, time is eternity."Henry Van Dyke28. "Are we not like two volumes of one book?"Marceline Desbordes-Valmomre29. "A bell is no bell til you ring it,A song is no song til you sing it,And love in your heartWasnt put there to stay -Love isnt loveTil you give it away."Oscar Hammerstein, "You Are Sixteen" from the film Sound of Music30. "Ive fallen in love many times...always with you."Unknown31. "Love is much nicer to be in than an automobile accident, a tight girdle, a higher tax bracket, ora holding pattern over Philadelphia."Judith Viorst32. "What I need to live has been given to me by the earth. Why I need to live hasbeen given to me by you."Unknown33. "I love thee to the depth and breadth and height my soul can reach."Elizabeth Barrett Browning34. "When youre in love you never really know whether your elation comes from the qualities ofthe one you love, or if it attributes them to her; whether the light which surrounds her like a halocomes from you, from her, or from the meeting of your sparks."Natalie Clifford Barney35. "Take away love and our earth is a tomb."Robert Browning36. "Love makes your soul crawl out from its hiding place."Zora Neale Hurston37. "Love is a game that two can play and both win."Eva Gabor38. "Without love, the rich and poor live in the same house."Unknown39. "We dont believe in rheumatism and true love until after the first attack."Marie Ebner Von Eschenback, Aporism40. "I love thee - I love thee,Tis all that I can sayIt is my vision in the night,My dreaming in the day."Thomas Hood41. "Love, and a cough, cannot be hid."George Herbert in Jacula Prudentum 165142. "Love unlocks doors and opens windows that werent even there before."Mignon McLaughlin, The Second Neurotics Notebook, 1966
43. "Poetry spills from the cracks of a broken heart, but flows from one which is loved."Christopher Paul Rubero44. "A man is not where he lives, but where he loves."Latin Proverb45. "Tell me how many beads there areIn a silver chainOf evening rain,Unraveled from the tumbling main,And threading the eye of a yellow star:So many times do I love again."Thomas Lovell Beddoes46. "The heart has its reasons that reason knows nothing of."Blaize Pascal, Pensees, 167047. "True love stories never have endings."Richard Bach48. "Nobody has ever measured, even poets, how much a heart can hold."Zelda Fitzgerald49. "Love is missing someone whenever youre apart, but somehow feeling warm inside becauseyoure close in heart."Kay Knudsen50. "Ah me! Love can not be cured by herbs."Ovid51. "Soul meets soul on lovers lips."Percy Bysshe Shelley52. "I need the starshine of your heavenly eyes,After the days great sun."Charles Hanson Towne53. "Love is the silent saying and saying of a single name."Mignon McLaughlin, The Neurotics Notebook, 196054. "Love would never be a promise of a rose garden unless it is showered with light of faith, waterof sincerity, and air of passion."Unknown55. "Sometimes we make love with our eyes. Sometimes we make love with our hands.Sometimes we make love with our bodies. Always we make love with our hearts."Unknown56. "The Eskimos had fifty-two names for snow because it was important to them: there ought to beas many for love."Margaret Atwood57. "You know when you have found your prince because you not only have a smile on your facebut in your heart as well."Unknown58. "Love puts the fun in together, the sad in apart, and the joy in a heart."Unknown59. "Who would give a law to lovers? Love is unto itself a higher law."Boethius, The Consolation of Philosophy
60. "Candle light, moon light, star light,The brightest glow is from love light."Grey Livingston61. "A baby is born with a need to be loved - and never outgrows it."Frank A. Clark62. "Anyone can be passionate, but it takes real lovers to be silly."Rose Franken63. "Love is like dew that falls on both nettles and lilies."Swedish Proverb64. "I love you like crazy, babyCuz Id go crazy without you."Pixie Foudre65. "How did it happen that their lips came together? How does it happen that birds sing, that snowmelts, that the rose unfolds, that the dawn whitens behind the stark shapes of trees on the quiveringsummit of the hill? A kiss, an all was said."Victor Hugo66. "It is astonishing how little one feels alone when one loves."John Bulwer67. "Love is not singular except in syllable."Marvin Taylor68. "They who meet on an April night are forever lost in love, if theres moonlight all about andtheres no moon above."E.Y. "Yip" Harburg and Fred Saidy, dialogue just before the song "Old Devil Moon" in the musicalFinians Rainbow69. "Love me and the world is mine."David Reed70. "Love is an irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired."Robert Frost71. "Love is the poetry of the senses."Honore de Balzac72. "Come live in my heart and pay no rent."Samuel Lover73. "True love comes quietly, without banners or flashing lights. If you hear bells, get your earschecked."Erich Segal74. "Love is what youve been through with somebody."James Thurber75. "Love is being stupid together."Paul Valery76. "For twas not into my ear your whisperedBut into my heart.twas not my lips you kissedBut my soul."Judy Garland77. "As soon go kindle fire with snow, as seek to quench the fire of love with words."
William Shakespeare78. "My heart to you is given;Oh, do give yours to me;Well lock them up together,And throw away the key."Frederick Saunders79. "Love is the greatest refreshment in life."Pablo Picasso80. "What the world really needs is more love and less paper work."Pearl Bailey81. "Give me a kisse, and to that kisse a score;Then to that twenty, adde a hundred more;A thousand to that hundred; so kisse on,To make that thousand up a million;Treble that million, and when that is done,Lets kiss afresh, as when we first begun."Robert Herrick, "To Anthea (III)"82. "Falling in love is so hard on the knees."Aerosmith83. "Love is a canvas furnished by Nature and embroidered by imagination."Voltaire84. "The most beautiful view is the one I share with you."Unknown85. "The mot important things are the hardest to say, because words diminish them."Stephen King86. "My whole heart for my whole life."French proverb on poesy rings87. "Like Ive always said, love wouldnt be blind if the braille werent so damned much fun."Armistead Maupin88. "Love is metaphysical gravity."R. Buckminster Fuller89. "If I had a single flower for every time I think about you, I could walk forever in my garden."Claudia Ghandi90. "Love is not love that alters when it alteration finds."William Shakespeare91. "If I could reach up and hold a star for every time youve made me smile, the entire evening skywould be in the palm of my hand."Unknown92. "You dont marry someone you can live with - you marry the person who you cannot livewithout."Unknown93. "A kiss is a lovely trick designed by nature to stop speech when words become superfluous."Ingrid Bergman94. "True love is like ghosts, which everybody talks about and few have seen."La Rochefoucauld
95. "I never knew how to worship until I knew how to love."Henry Ward Beecher96. "Better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all."Saint Augustine97. "Love is but the discovery of ourselves in others, and the delight in the recognition."Alexander Smith98. "Sympathy constitutes friendship; but in love there is a sort of antipathy, or opposing passion.Each strives to be the other, and both together make up onewhole."Samuel Taylor Coleridge99. "Very small degree of hope is sufficient to cause the birth of love."Stendhal100. "There is no remedy for love but to love more."Thoreau101. "At the touch of love everyone becomes a poet."Platoº