Bad Bosses: What Kind are You? Source:http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/108677/bad- bosses-what-kind-are-you?mod=career-leadership Prepared by: ingambra | 2012
Time to Face Your ReportsO The day of reckoning has arrived. Your leadership skills need an overhaul, and Ive detailed why in the following slides.O Any of these shortcomings sound familiar?
1. Dont Know Your JobYoure the invisible man, the one whodoesnt delve into the details or pitch in.You insulate yourself, telling us its "notmy job" and to "just do it."We know your dirty secret: Youre out oftouch. Its time to step away from yourprecious spreadsheets and get yourhands dirty. You cant channel talent,time, and tools if you dont know howtheyre already being deployed.
2. Dont ListenWeve seen it all. You fiddle with yourBlackBerry (RIMM) when werespeaking. You interrupt constantly tomake your points. And you roll youreyes and grow impatient—unless youretalking.No matter, you disregard our inputanyway. So weve given up; we dontcome to you anymore. And we bothsuffer for it. If you want to succeed,rebuild that goodwill. Itll require timeand toil, but the best relationshipsalways do.
3. Closed-MindedYoure gifted and accomplished, thebest and brightest. And that has madeyou susceptible to pride. Now, yourequick to reach conclusions. Everythingis one-sided, with no room fordiscussion, differences, or dissent.You may view yourself as all-knowing,but conditions change. And talentdoesnt stand for "my way or thehighway" for long. Pride goeth before afall. Question is, can you open up andadapt before then?
4. Poor PreparationAnother emergency meeting. Drop whatyoure doing, they need it now. Werechanging direction and working lateagain. Its always last minute, make itup as you go along.Maybe it fosters teamwork and creativitysometimes, but you can only cry wolf somany times. In reality, the unexpecteddrama reflects your inability to setexpectations, plan ahead, and think itthrough. And its just wearing us down.
5. Not Building Skills"People are our most important asset."Well, its empty rhetoric here. Maybeyou want to be hands-off or encourageself-reliance. Whatever the intent,youre not helping us grow.And thats your real job as a manager:to broaden our outlook, push us beyondour comfort zones, exemplify thecorporate values, and focus us onlearning, serving, persevering, leading,and advancing. Dont take thatresponsibility lightly.
6. OverzealousHistory remembers the tyrants but rarelythe subjects who did the heavy lifting.Its no different here. Youve created adivide-and-conquer atmosphere, allstick and no carrot, where everyoneshould be the same workaholicreflection of you.Eventually, your bullying and rah-rahintensity produces one question:"Why?" You may think we should be in"for life," but what are you giving back inreturn for that blind loyalty?
7. Dont Maintain Discipline All the workers come and go as they please, living according to their own rules. No one knows who is where or doing what, and the result is chaos. Maybe you want to be our buddy— or experience how a sweat shop atmosphere fosters only resentment. Either way, coddling does no favors to anyone. Like it or not, you need to set rules and hold people accountable.
8. Never Heard of TactYou always remind us that werereplaceable and working at your pleasure.Yes, its your legendary bluntness. Yourtalent and tenure shields you fromscrutiny. Sadly, your lack of self-awareness results in everyone—superiorsand reports—maligning or marginalizingyou.Brains take you only so far; eventually,youll need to build and nurturerelationships. And that requires peopleskills: listening, charming, understanding,and compromising. Think youre up forthat?
9. Lack InfluenceIts funny how were usually last to getface time and resources. Our mission isvital and performance exceedsexpectations. Youd like to believe itsjealousy, but maybe the messenger isundercutting the message.Look at your variables: appearance, bodylanguage, and speaking and writingstyles. Do you always convey the imageof a polished professional who can workin a team and get the job done? If youcant, youll never get anyones ear.
10. Blindside UsAh, theres nothing like a surprise.Whether youre singling us out in publicor ambushing us in private, youre notafraid to render judgments and deliverlectures.Despite our advanced degrees andtrack records, you still treat us asservants. Instead of dropping the newsall at once, give us fair warning whenour performance doesnt meetexpectations. Always take actionimmediately—and discreetly.