How it started…
• Be careful of ‘friendly chats’!
• 2013 – what did we do?
• 2016 & 2017 – how did this develop?
Student comments about the sessions:
• Informative, interesting, liked the tour and
• The insight into uni study
• Being able to do independent tasks
• Interesting and gave us an in depth understanding
• It was not all just speaking at us, there was
• Informative and supportive
Reflection and evolution…
• Formal report
• LJMU Teaching & Learning Conference Presentation
• CSE Compliance Plus
• Discussions with Academic Liaison Librarians’ team
• Meeting with Outreach at LJMU
• How this initiative has helped us…
• What is your opinion of what we have done?
• Do you think these school students have taken the
first steps to being ‘research ready’ and ultimately
‘independent learners’, if so why/why not?
• Do you think it is our responsibility as ‘university
librarians’ to help bridge the gap?
• In your role as an information professional, are you
already bridging the gap, if you are, please share
with us how and why?
Carolyn Benny: C.M.Benny@ljmu.ac.uk
Pauline Smith: P.Smith@ljmu.ac.uk