iPhone Apps and their
Aim of this presenta6on
• iPhone is a rela6vely new pla>orm and many of us are not
aware of the pla>orm, its capabili6es, the way Apple works
and so on. This presenta6on aims to help answer some of
What is an iPhone app?
• An iPhone app is a program that runs on your iPhone. It
enables you to accomplish a certain task
• They could be u6lity apps, games, enterprise apps,
entertainment apps, apps to access your bank account etc
• As Apple says – there is an app for everything
• Some popular apps are
– Facebook – social networking
– Doodle Buddy – drawing
– Pandora Radio – radio on your iPhone
– Yelp – restaurant reviews
How do I get these apps?
• Install iTunes (soTware from Apple) on your Windows or Mac
• You create an account on iTunes
Why should I build an iPhone app in the ﬁrst place?
• It has become a great new marke6ng and distribu6on mechanism that can
give your business a whole new way of transac6ng business and geXng
your brand known in front of millions of users
• iPhones are the market leaders in the smart phone segment
• The iPhone user group is the most inﬂuen6al buying demographic
– Execu6ves and professionals
• The iPhone has become a great device to surf the internet, play games,
interact with social networks and transact business
• The iPhone has unique features that your app can take advantage of
• Most apps made for the iPhone also run on the iPod Touch, thereby
further increasing the market you are catering to
How do we build an iPhone app?
• iPhone apps are built using technologies from Apple
– Cocoa framework
– Objec6ve C
– Tools supplied by Apple to develop, test and distribute
What do I need to tell you, if I want to start building
• To start building an app
– Sign an NDA with us – we want to protect your idea
– Talk to us about your idea
– Enumerate the features that you would like to see in your app
– We will get back to you with what it would take to build the app
– Enlist a budget
– Priori6ze the features that are cri6cal
• Once we receive the informa6on from you, we will give you a budget and
• We will work with you at each of the above steps to achieve your business
• We do not have a set “requirements” template. We encourage you to just
write your idea as either a mind map or a bullet list
Who submits the app to the App Store?
• We can, or you can
• We will gladly help you submit the app to the app store
• You can use our account, but we recommend that you use
your account – it is just befer, cleaner and gives you more
• If your app is a paid app, you have to use your own account.
We will s6ll help you submit the app to the App Store
• It generally takes a couple of hours to actually submit the app
Do you charge a recurring fee?
• No, we do not
• Our fee is a one 6me fee, that covers the cost of design and
development or whatever we commit to you in the SOW.
• Once we do our part of the work, there are no recurring fees
that we charge our clients
• If you want us to do extra work – feature addi6on,
maintenance etc, we will let you know in advance what the
costs will be
Do you sign an NDA? How do I protect my idea?
• Yes, we will gladly sign an NDA – and actually encourage
• This is a mutual NDA that protects all stakeholders
• We will not run away with your idea – it is not how our
business works. We build apps for our clients. We very rarely
put our own apps on the App Store
• We will not disclose your idea to anyone outside our
• We have a reputa6on at stake and we will do all to maintain
our stellar reputa6on
How much will it cost to build my app?
• Again, it depends, on what you have set out to build
• It can cost a few hundred to a few thousand dollars
• We will gladly give you a discount if
– You agree to prominently credit us in your app and your website
– You contract with us to build more than one app
• Talk to us – we will help you build an app well within your
budget. Our clients are oTen surprised by our pricing. You
could be as well!
How do I distribute my app?
• Once your app is built, you submit it to the App Store for
review and approval from Apple
• Once Apple approves, it appears on the App Store in iTunes
• It can be downloaded from there
• You can send your friends a link to the app
• You can put the link on Facebook, Twifer etc and let the
world know about your app
Is my idea already on the App Store? How can I ﬁnd out?
• Search on App Store (in iTunes, top right, there is a search bar)
using keywords that could be related to your idea
• You will know if an app like yours already exists
• But do not stop there
– See if your app can be built in a befer manner
– See if you can market your app befer – if you do not know about that
app, chances are that it is not marketed properly
• Talk to us – we might be able to help you diﬀeren6ate your
app or build something that is befer, or even give you 6ps on
how to market your app befer
Do you help in marke6ng the app?
• Yes, we do
• We can help you create a marke6ng strategy around your app
• What’s more, we will help you with your idea to
– Make it viral
– Incorporate marke6ng elements that can help your app generate
direct or indirect business
– Integrate your app with your exis6ng website to reinforce your
What happens aTer the app is submifed to the App Store for review?
• Apple reviews the app and will approve it or reject it
• It generally takes anywhere between 7 – 28 days (some6mes more,
some6mes less) to get a response
• Apple might get back to you asking for more informa6on
• Apple review policies are not known, but they oTen do check for
bugs (app crashing), copyright infringement, explicit material (adult
• We, as developers of the app do not have any control on the
approval process – we can just guess
• If your app is straigh>orward and does not violate any copyrights
and does not have any adult content, it should get approved
What does Apple charge for submiXng the app?
• You do need an account on the Apple AppStore for which
there is a one 6me $99 fee.
• You can upload any number of apps aTer you get this account
Is there a recurring app hos6ng fee that Apple charges?
• You do not get charged anything for free apps
• For paid apps, apple gets 30% of the cost of the app, each
6me it is downloaded. You get 70%
How do I know how many 6mes my app has been downloaded?
• Apple provides you monthly, weekly and daily reports
• They also provide you with other informa6on like loca6on the
app was downloaded from, date and 6me etc
Will my app be approved by Apple?
• Most likely it will
• Some of the reasons it might not be approved are
– Explicit adult content
– Trying to recreate the iPhone func6onality in your app to circumvent
their own apps
– Use of unpublished APIs
• This is not an exhaus6ve list. Apple is not consistent in its
• We cannot guarantee it, no one can
What if my App is not approved by Apple?
• Well, hard luck
• Apple some6mes gives reasons for why it has not been
approved. We can help you analyze the situa6on and work
with you to ﬁnd a solu6on
• There is only one genuine Apple App Store, so you cannot
really take your applica6on elsewhere
How do I know if my idea is feasible or not?
• We help you do a free ini6al feasibility study
• In most cases, we can tell if your main idea is feasible or not
before we start the app
• If we cannot determine feasibility earlier on, we will let you
know upfront how much it will cost to determine feasibility
and then proceed to build the app
Can the same app be used on other mobile phones?
• The exact same app cannot be used as is on other mobile
• But we can help you port the app to other pla>orms like the
Blackberry, Android or Windows Mobile
• Generally the cost of por6ng is lower than the cost of building
the ﬁrst app, as you can reuse the logic and some por6ons of
the code as is
What is the diﬀerence between a web app and a na6ve app?
• A web app runs inside a browser and always needs an ac6ve
• A na6ve app runs on the mobile opera6ng system and takes
advantage of the hardware’s features. For the iPhone it is
wrifen in Objec6ve C
My app needs to talk/interact with my external website/database. Is
• Yes, it is possible. The app can talk to another website/
• It is done, mostly by building a webservice that accesses the
data for the iPhone and sits on your server
• iPhone apps can also consume RSS feeds, XML data and hfp
Can I create a lite and a paid versin of my app? Would it cost a lot
• Yes you can and in many cases you should
• The lite version allows you to give your customers an
opportunity to try out your product before they decide to by.
This is a good idea to promote sales and en6ce users to buy
• If built correctly, the cost should be incremental, rather than a
whole lot more
• Talk to us. Once we know your requirements, we would be
able to give you a befer answer
How do we manage updates to the app? What happens if I wanted to
add a new feature?
• Updates are built and posted to the Apple App Store for
• Apple can approve or reject an update
• It takes 6me for Apple to approve or reject an app
• One should update the app for feature addi6ons and bug ﬁxes
• Many people update the app for geXng fresh data into the
app, but that should be avoided
• Apple does not charge for submiXng updates to the app
Once you develop the app, who owns the app?
• You own the app
• We hold rights to the app only 6ll we are paid in full
• Once we receive our payment, all rights are automa6cally
transferred to you as the owner of the app
• You can choose to modify the app at will once you own the
app’s source code
Will I get the source code to the app? When?
• You own the app, it is your source code
• As soon as you pay us, the rights to the app are transferred to
you and we send you the source code
• You can modify the source code at will
Will you help me upload the app to the the App Store
• Yes, we will
• We will use your account to upload the app to the App Store
for review by Apple
• You will have to provide us your account creden6als
• Please note that we have no control over the review and
approval process itself. That is in the hands of Apple
<< For more informa2on
For more informa6on
Cell ‐ +1 925 415 0883
Email – email@example.com
Web – www.infobeans.com
Blog – hfp://wordpress.infobeans.com
LinkedIn proﬁle ‐ hfp://www.linkedin.com/in/siddharthsethi
Address – 2410 Camino Ramon, Suite 288, San Ramon, CA 94583