NSDC: Skilling 150mn people
NSDC: A Unique Entity
A first of its kind PPP to “catalyse” skill development in India via
“Viability Gap Funding”
Enable skilling of 150mn people across 20 high growth sectors and
the informal sector. Rs. 1,000 cr corpus from Govt of India
Will monitor implementation over the entire life of the project
Creation of systems for Standards & Accreditation
Creation of a Labour Market Information Systems (LMIS)
Creation of Sector Skills Council
• 150mn people to be skilled - no precedents or formulas
• Skills Gap is more than 80% and seen as hugely unviable
• 93% of workforce in Unorganised Sector
• Few Skills Development initiatives in the country
• Estimated need of Rs.15,000 cr. in 12 yrs
• NSDC is a “viability gap catalyst” to make 150 skilled workers by
2022 a reality.
• Viability Gap = Funding Gap + Imagination Gap
• Imagination Gap = Ideas gap + Ability gap + Technology gap
+ Relationships gap + Policy enablement gap + Other ideas gaps
NSDC’s focus is more on “Imagination Gap”
Needed: “Big Ideas” to Big Questions
• How can we take few fine teachers to the many millions?
• How can we skill large numbers of people in the shortest possible
time to make them employable or enhance self-employability?
• How can we bring McDonalds-like excellence on scale but in a
“mass customised” model?
• How can technology play a disruptive role?
• How to multiply little money to create Rs.15,000 cr. impact?
• Go after today’s marquee names
− Basix Group, Bharti Group, IL&FS, Pratham
• Create tomorrow’s marquee names?
− iStar, Edubridge,
• Build “disruptive” business models by assembling together pieces
of the “Jigsaw Puzzle”?
− Open Skills University, Agri-sector skilling