If Yes, You Are Already a MOOC User.
• MOOC Stands for:
Let's Understand a Little More
Many Users, Communication amongst Users,
Open Participation (FREE/FREEMIUM), Open
Real-time or Online in a Self Paced Mode.
Sessions/Modules grouped in a defined structure.
• Named in 2008 by Dave Cormier of
University of Prince Edward Island,
• Popular Jargon by 2012 with the advent
of EDX, CourseEra, Udacity, Udemy etc.
• A "DISTANCE LEARNING" method using
digital tools along with learner
Are MOOCs a new word for E-Learning
• Both Yes and NO.
• Here the focus is not really learning
• The focus is:
– COURSEs as a prime learning unit.
– OPEN-NESS (easy to join/no pre-conditions)
– SOCIALISATION OF LEARNING
Co-Learner Show Case - 2
Some MOOC portals also contain
• Tools for Educators to create/upload their
courses that meet their policies.
• Optional online LMS tools.
• Assessment Creation Tools.
• Learner Interaction Tools.
• Business Tools
Sunmitra's Idea - 1
• Started with blended Learning in
• Focused on ordinary
teachers/authors to create online
academies for FREE.
• Content grouping as Sessions –
Courses – Programs – Academies.
• Authoring tools to organise and
Sunmitra's Idea - 2
• Support for standard content like PPTs,
DOCs, PDFs, JPGs, Youtube Videos, Flash,
Slideshare content, Google Drive Content
• Learner Progress Monitoring.
• Team based content creation.
• Fully open or group specific delivery.
• Listing and marketing using
standard E-Shopping portals.
Show Case - 1
Show Case - 2
Names or its
Show Case - 2
First Few Pages of
Show Case - 3
a free course,
a course of
10 Fee Units
Ticking over My
you to join
Course is the
minimum unit One
Show Case - 4
Course list can be
filtered on various
are alo visible
Show Case - 5
A Session list shows
Session Image, Name, ID, Sequence
No. is also displayed
Show Case - 6
Its shows details like Session ID,
Suggested Sequence of Reading,
Name, Description, No. Of
Screens, Recommended Time to
Attempt, Attempt Count, Last
Attempt Date and Percentage
Like all Views
Session list can be
seen in Tabular
Other than filtering, One can also
Order sessions by Last Attempt,
Session ID, Name or Its Assigned
Show Case - 6
Show Case - 7
A Session Player is then opened
according to session Data Type
(Image, PPT, PDF, HTML, Youtube,
Slideshare, PODCast, DOC etc.)
Show Case - 8
A Session Player provides a
feature to link to any external
document or URL that can be
opened separately. This
provides the power of Hyper-linking
even if the content
doesn't support it.
Meracourse Authors Can Use
this feature to link to external
discussion forums for co-learner
discussion related to
Show Case - 9
By Providing Additional Details Any
Meracourse Learner Can Become a
Content Author to allow him to
upload content, using the content
Show Case - 11
One can then easily
upload new sessions.
Show Case - 12
Sessions of various
content types can then be
uploaded by the authors.
Show Case - 13
One can then create a
course and then add his
own sessions or sessions
shared by others.
Finally if desired, One can
create a Program by adding
few courses and an Academy
by Adding Few Programs
Show Case - 14
A click over a Fee-Based course directs
a user to an external shopping portal,
where the course can be listed
Show Case - 15
Lucknow Experience (Plus-es)
• Nurturing a raw idea with Least
• Low Survival Cost.
• Enough people to test functional
prototypes (For software engine and for
• Easier to create a platform to start from
blended Learning (Brick-Mortar School) to
go to fully Virtual Learning.
Lucknow Experience (Minus-es)
• Unable to interact with like-minded
• Big Dreams – Low Funds – High
LOOP continues .......
• Difficult to get Intellectual Assets
TAKE-AWAYS FOR YOU
• Collection of Links for
University Open Coursewares
• MIT Open courseware ocw.mit.edu
• Stanford Online class.stanford.edu
• Utah State Open University ocw.usu.edu
• University of California, Berkeley
• Harvard Open Learning Initiative
• Open Yale Courses oyc.yale.edu
• Carnegie Mellon University oli.cmu.edu
• University of Massachusetts Boston ocw.umb.edu
MOOC Learning Portals: Indian Initiatives
• Swyam (To be made available on edx)
Sites of MOOC Related Interest
• Global Moocs Directory www.moocs.co
• MOOC List mooc-list.com
• World University Consortium wunicon.org
• MOOC aggregrator class-central.com
• Academic QA transtutors.com
• EduKWest www.edukwest.com
Domain Specific Online Learning
• Forex Education www.fxacademy.com
• Language Learning www.instremia.com
• Economic Education www.mruniversity.com
• SAP related open.sap.com
• Security related opensecuritytraining.info
• Accounting Related www.qualt.com
• I love sharing at email@example.com
• Send more links to me. I am sorry! If I
• Share this information with as many
people as possible.
• Keep visiting www.meracourse.com for