IESA special webinar on energy storage project (MNRE, PGCIL) opportunities in India 30th July 2014
Energy Storage Project Opportunities
PGCIL Request For Proposals & MNRE Expression of Interest
IESA SPECIAL WEBINAR
WWW.INDIAESA.INFO JULY 30, 2014
Dr. Rahul Walawalkar
VP, Emerging Tech & Markets,
Director Executive Director Vice Chair
• Introduction to IESA
• India Energy Storage Opportunities
PGCIL – Frequency Regulation RFP
MNRE – Renewable Integration EOI
Other upcoming opportunities
All figures and information used in this presentation are copyright materials of
Customized Energy solutions and IESA. It can’t be replicated without permission.
• IESA was launched in May 2012 at the Energy Storage Association annual meeting in US
• The IESA membership is diverse and includes manufacturers, academic / research
institutions, technology and materials developers, start-ups, engineering firms, systems
integrators, as well as large end-users.
• IESA over past 2 years has developed key strategic partnership with global organizations.
• IESA also provides insights to technology developers and system integrators on the policy
landscape and business opportunities in India through frequent interaction with key
India Energy Storage Alliance (IESA)
• IESA has compiled the most comprehensive assessment of market potential for energy storage
and micro-grid technologies in India for 2014-2020 and released ‘Energy Storage India: Market
Overview Report - 2014’.
• IESA research team has also released additional reports including:
• Organized 2 technical tours (in 2012 and 2013) for building partnerships for storage technologies
• In Dec 2013, IESA organized India’s 1st international conference on energy
storage and microgrids, which was attended by over 300 delegates from
12 countries. This year, we are anticipating over 500 delegates from 15+ countries.
• India Energy Storage Alliance (IESA) signed a partnership Memorandum of
Understanding (MoU) for International Energy Storage Database (IESDB).
• To spread the knowledge among all stake holders and to create a market for
energy storage, IESA started quarterly magazine name Emerging Technology
• IESA represented Indian market and IESA members at more than 20 National and international
events during 2013-14.
• IESA was invited to join standing committee on energy storage and hybrids solutions formed
by Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE), Govt. of India in May 2014.
• Dr. Walawalkar is Chairperson of Working group on Renewable Integration, Microgrids and
Energy Storage for Maharashtra Electricity Regulatory Commission & is working on developing
roadmap for storage and microgrid deployment in Maharashtra as part of Smart Grid Roadmap.
• Member, National taskforce on Renewable Integration for CEA and Ministry of Power
• Associate member of India Smart Grid Forum
IESA has 3 membership options
IESA Knowledge Partner Network
IESA Associate Member
IESA Executive Member
Highlights of Members Benefits
• Through monthly IESA-Information Bulletin, we provide Industry
and Technology news to all our members.
• IESA team regularly uploaded research papers, presentations,
industry reports, case study and white papers for its members
through secure login access on IESA website (http://indiaesa.info).
• One to One call with all its members to help and support India
operation with strategy and business opportunity.
• Exclusive feature for IESA members, as opportunity (RFP/Tender)
for battery/ energy storage related to emerging market India.
• IESA organises exclusive Webinars for its members to strengthen
the knowledge of Indian Market and energy storage technology and
• Special discounts on IESA annual conference, IESA research reports
and partner events.
Special offer for new members: 10 % discount available till 15th August 2014
Indian Market Opportunities
• We anticipate the energy storage
market in India to grow to 15-20
GW by 2020 driven by
• Energy Access
• Renewable integration
• Ancillary Services
• C&I customer demand
• Telecom sector
• Agricultural applications
Energy Storage Projects in India
12Source: DOE Energy Storage Database
DOE Global Energy
Storage Database lists
~20 grid scale energy
Apart from this in 2013,
Li-Ion batteries worth ~
$300 M for telecom
tower backup to
minimize diesel usage
• Frequency Response Pilot Project
• Renewable Integration Demonstration project
about 50% of total
power generated in
Selection Criteria - Puducherry
Small urban area
High per capita power consumption
Modern distribution network (OG &
Scope for integration of Renewable
Low population density
High literacy rate and public awareness
Scope for reduction of losses
Map Source: Puducherry
Profile of Puducherry Smart Grid Pilot Project Area
Peak Load 70
Snapshot of Puducherry Smart Grid Pilot
Developed jointly by POWERGRID and Puducherry Electricity
About 60 collaborators participating in the project
The main objectives of the project include:
Indigenization of Technology
Proof of Concept in Indian conditions
Knowledge Sharing & Capacity Building
Development of a scalable & replicable model
Demonstration of benefits to stakeholders
Groundwork preparation for Policy Advocacy, Regulations, Standards,
Evolution of a commercial mechanism
PGCIL – Energy Storage Pilot Project Overview
• Project Location : PUDUCHERRY, INDIA
• Overview: 3 Pilot projects
• Supply, Installation, Testing and Commissioning of Battery Energy Storage System using :
Advanced Lead Acid
NaNiCl2 / Alkaline / Flow battery
• Energy Storage Size: 250 kWh, 500 kW
• Primary Application: Frequency Regulation
• It is expected that another 33 GW capacity of renewable energy shall be added by 2017.
• This project is being carried out to find suitability of battery technologies for grid scale storage system
in India for grid ancillary services to facilitate renewable integration
Power Grid Corporation of India(PGCIL) is a member of India Energy Storage Alliance(IESA)
Primary Application: Frequency Regulation
Most recent 2 hour
• PGCIL has proposed that apart from the frequency regulation, the
same units will also be tested for Peak Shifting application
– Duration 2 hours
– Power rating will be reduced considering the energy availability for the
– This is a supplemental application to gather additional data for potential
Date of notice for invitation of bids 4 July, 2014
Pre-Bid Conference held on 25 July, 2014
Bidding documents available for inspection and sale up to 19 August, 2014
First Stage Bid submission up to 26 August, 2014, 11:00 am
Opening Date & Time of First Stage Bid 26 August, 2014, 11:30 am
Second Stage Bids time, date and address given in the
invitation to submit Second Stage Bids.
• Two Stage Bidding Procedure will be adopted.
• First Stage bids are technical bids and shall contain no prices or price schedules or
other reference to rates and prices for completing the facilities.
• The deadline for submission of Second Stage bids will be specified in the invitation to
submit Second Stage bids.
Qualifying Criteria Overview
Bid is open to all firms, Government owned enterprises from all countries in the
world, barring those against whom sanction for conducting business is imposed by
Government of India and by PGCIL.
Bidder should have installed & commissioned comparable battery energy storage
system including battery management system.
Minimum size of the battery energy storage system 100 kWh
Such installations should be in operation for at least six months as on 26th
Net Worth for last 3 financial years should be positive along with additional financial
Detailed technical specification documents are made available for each technology
PGCIL is looking for feedback / comments and will issue clarifications during week
of 4th August.
MNRE – ESS Project Overview
• Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) proposes to support
demonstration projects for energy storage to assess feasibility of energy
storage technologies for small scale and grid connected MW scale
renewable energy applications.
• MNRE is inviting Expression of Interest (EoI) from national entities interested
in developing and deploying renewable energy integrated energy storage
solutions for demonstration purposes.
IESA is a member of standing committee on energy storage and hybrids solutions formed by
Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE), Govt. of India
MNRE: Key Applications
1. Integrating large-scale wind and solar generation into the transmission grids.
2. Rural Micro Grids
3. Micro grids in commercial, industrial, residential, defense or other applications
4. Large scale standalone systems
Technologies under consideration
• Any storage technology may be used.
–Mechanical / gravity based systems
• Preference would be given to those technologies and vendors which
have a demonstrable track record, and are expected to experience
significant cost-performance improvements with scale.
• Thermal storage for solar thermal MW scale projects is not
supported under this programme.
Proposed Project Timeline
Draft Application 24 July 2014
Stakeholder consultation Before 10 August 2014
Final Request for Proposal (RfP)for Energy Storage Applications 29 August 2014
Receipt of proposals 22 September 2014
Final evaluation 31 October 2014
Discussions with Top Ranked Applicants on details of the
10 November 2014
Due-diligence/ investigation to reconfirm key aspects of the
20 November 2014
Firming up pre-sanction conditions, payment schedule,
and final announcement of the awardees
28 November 2014
Detailed agreement for receipt of grants 15 December 2014
Publishing of results March 2016
Qualifying Criteria Overview
• MNRE invites Expression of Interest (EoI) from national entities.
• Detailed Qualification Criteria will be available after August 10th, 2014.
• 600,000 telecom towers – 70% + utilize DG for backup / primary source have
been mandated by regulators to reduce diesel
• Over 100,000 Bank ATMs that need backup solutions
• India Plans to Install 26 Million Solar-powered Water Pumps (over 9 Million
diesel powered water pumps in operation)
• Over 300 million people currently do not have access to grid electricity and
India’s National Mission for energy access aims to provide at least 8 hours of
access by 2017
• India’s National Electric Mobility Mission aims to get 6 million EV / HEVs
(including 2 wheelers) on road by 2020
• Indian railways is 5th largest rail network with over 65,000 km of rail network
and is driving integration of energy storage for public transportation systems
For additional details :
• India presents a huge market for advanced energy storage solutions
• Current annual market for Lead Acid batteries is ~$3.5 Billion which does not
address some of the new market opportunities
• India also presents excellent opportunity for collaborations for R&D,
manufacturing and exports
• Indian policy makers are keen on encouraging energy storage technologies given
the challenges faced
• IESA is your gateway to Indian Market for understanding opportunities,
regulations, finding partners and staying informed on opportunities.
Customized Energy Solutions India Pvt. Ltd.
A 501, GO Square
Aundh - Hinjewadi Link Rd, Wakad
Pune, Maharashtra 411057 India
Customized Energy Solutions Ltd.
1528 Walnut Street, 22nd Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19102 USA
Dr. Rahul Walawalkar
Executive Director, IESA &
VP, Emerging Tech & Markets, CES
Mr. Debi Dash
Manager, Communications, IESA