Effective ManagersEffective managers, managethemselves and the peoplethey work with so that boththe people and theorganization profit fromtheir presence.
Theme and Story The “One Minute Manager” is a simple compilation of commonly used management principles. It is all about how people produce valuable results, and feel good about themselves, the organization and the other people with whom they work. This story revolves around a young man who in his search of an effective manager, came to know how a person can be a one minute manger.
Story A young man was in search of an effective manager who manage himself and his employees in such a manner so that both the employees and the organization benefit from his presence. In his search he came to know about a special manager who lived ironically and people liked to work with him. The young man went to see him. Young man told the manager, that he wanted to know what type of manager are you…. ? ?
Manager replied – A “One Minute Manager”. Young man wondered…. Manager smiled and said – It is because it takes very little time for him to get very big results from people. Young man never heard of such thing so it was hard to believe. Young man asked, “I never heard of anyone being one minute manager, what is it?” Manager replied - you may better asked it from my employees. Young man took the name of three employees and leave the office to meet them.
Quote “People Who Feel Good About Themselves – Produce Good Results”
Three Secrets • One Minute Goal Setting • One Minute Praising • One Minute Reprimand
One Minute Goal Setting: Make clear what yourauthorities are and what you are responsible for
One Minute Goal Setting:• Young man went to ask Trenell how the manager is one minute manager?• Ternell replied that, this is because the manager helped him in One minute goal setting.• Young men was surprised – “What is one minute goal setting”.• Ternell explained – – Decide your goal and write it on single sheet of paper using less than 250 words.
O n e M i u te G o a lS e tti g : n n• Read and Re-read each goal whenever possible.• Take a minute every once in a while out of your day to look at your performance.• See whether or not your behavior matches your goal.• One minute manager believes in 80-20 goal setting i.e. 80% of our really important results will come 20% of our goals.• So one minute goal setting is understanding what are our responsibilities and performing up to a desired level to achieve a particular goal.
Catch them doing something good and praise themimmediately when they do so,as it will have agreater and long term effect .
Share your feelings aboutwhat they did right and howit helps the organization and the other people who work there .
• The young man went to Levy’s office and asked him how the manager is “one minute manager”.• Levy told him – “because our manager give us one minute praising”• Young man – “what is one minute praising”• Levy started talking about the one minute praising with the young man and said the one minute manager made it very clear what they were suppose to do.• The one minute manager provided them with feedback and kept close contact with them.
• He had close contact in two ways. – First, he observed all our activities. – Secondly, he made us keep detail record of our progress and asked to submit it to him.• By this Levy earlier thought that one minute manager was spying, but later he found that the manager was trying to catch us doing something right.
Quote “Help People Reach Their Full Potential – Catch Them Doing Something
• One minute manager then comes and puts his hand on our shoulder.• He does it because he cares for us and wants us to prosper.• You don’t have to praise someone for long for them to know you notice and you care. It takes less then one minute.• Young man now understands what one minute praising is.• He left levy’s office to meet Ms. Brown, the third employee.
One Minute Reprimand:Tough on performance not tough on the person
• The young man at the last meets Ms. Brown.• Man gets shocked and astonished when he heard the answer of Ms. Brown of “One Minute Reprimands” as the third step of being a One Minute Manager.• Ms. Brown explained-Manager searched for every significant mistake done by his employees.• He confirmed the facts and responded immediately by telling the guilty person about the mistake precisely.
• Then he maintained silence for few seconds and told the concerned person how competent he/she was.• Then he told the concerned person that he did so because he had respect for them.• Advices the concerned person not to repeat the mistake and then kidded for few seconds which created a positive effect.
• Young man was still confused how the “one minute reprimands work”.• So he went back to manager office.• He wondered when manager greeted him with a warm smile.• Manager asked – “Well what did you find out in your travels?”• A lot, young man replied enthusiastically.• “What did you think about all that?”- Manager• I could understand it more, if you please explained it in detail,” said the young man.• One minute manager explains -
“The Best Minute I Spend Is The One I Invest In People”
• One minute goal setting is a basic tool for productive behavior.• It help people to focus on their goals, as they could review their goals frequently and then check their performance against those goals.• This is how One minute goal works – said the One minute manager.• “Would you explain how “One Minute Praising” works - Young man.• I would like to give you an example –Of whale as to how whale are taught to jump over a rope which is high above the water.
• Same is the case with us.• We feel motivated when we were praised for something we had done well. In most organizations Managers wait until their people do something right before they praise them, as a result they never get high performance because they concentrate on catching them doing things wrong.• Rather they punish them if they had done something wrong.• Punishments causes lack of confidence and make people to feel unsecure.
• While I always praise them even if they do something approximately right.• This make them feel good and more secure about themselves.• They work more energetically towards their goal, which in turn help organization to achieve its own objective.• Young man – I think I understand why One minute goal and why One minute praising work, But I can’t imagine why one minute reprimand work.
“We Are Not Just Our Behavior –We Are The PersonManaging Our Behavior”
Be immediate and specific, about poor performance
Tell them how you feel about what they did wrong , by making them aware again of the real and deviated paths .
Encourage them and remind them how much you still value them as a person because the problem was with their way of working and not them.
WHY ONE MINUTE GOALS WORK:• EVERYONE IS MOTIVATED TO DO SOMETHING.• VISUALISATION• BOWLING• GOLF• TAKE A MINUTE ,LOOK AT YOUR GOALS,LOOK AT YOUR PERFORMANCE,SEE IF YOUR BEHAVIOUR MATCHES YOUR GOALS.
WHY ONE MINUTE REPRIMANDS WORK:• IMMEDIATE FEEDBACK.• MANIPULATIVE MANAGERS.• IT IS FOR CORRECTING THE BEHAVIOUR AND RETAINING THE PERSON.• GET HOT THEN COLD.• WE ARE NOT JUST OUR BEHAVIOUR WE ARE THE PERSON MANAGING OUR BEHAVIOUR.
WHO CAN BE A ONE MINUTE MANAGER:• SENSE OF EMPATHY FOR OTHERS.• APPRICIATION.• WHO CONSIDERS EVERY HUMAN BEING AS A POTENTIAL WINNER.•
Quote “Goals Begin Behaviors – Consequences Maintain Behavior”
• This means we have to manage people and not just their recent behavior.• My Aim while giving One Minute reprimand is – to eliminate the behavior and keep the person.• Even the second half of my reprimand is praising.• “Why wouldn’t you give the praising first and then the reprimand?” suggested the young man.• It is not, because “I am really tough and nice as a manager”.