HOW DOES IT FEEL?
Presented by I M Confident Niagara Canada
Created by Brenda Silveira February 2010
THIS IS A SPECIAL
• The first presentation in the series is about
• It is for families and friends of people
suffering from this illness
• The purpose of this presentation is to
– help you understand the illness better
– show you ways to help your loved one cope
with the illness
depression suffer from
dislike themselves and
feel unhappy a lot.
The following slides will
show you a few of the
symptoms to watch for.
DEPRESSION IS A VERY
It is extremely important to get medical help, so a
proper assessment can be made.
With the correct medication, therapy and self help,
it is possible to recover.
It is also important that family and friends
emotionally support the person with the illness.
Without continuing, loving support – recovery is not
Here are some things you should and should not do
to help your loved one.
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER
• Tell them to ‘snap out of it’
• Tell them to stop hurting everyone else
• Tell them they are selfish
• Tell them they are lazy
• Tell them they are just looking for attention
• Tell them they are stupid
HERE ARE SOME THINGS
YOU CAN DO
SPEND SOME TIME TOGETHER
ENCOURAGE THEM TO MAKE
NEW FRIENDS OR
JOIN A GROUP
DEPRESSION CAN BE A DARK,
LONELY, FEARSOME PLACE.
HELP US MAKE EVERYONE’S WORLD
FULL OF COLOUR
LET’S ALWAYS TAKE TIME TO MAKE
SURE WE SHARE OUR TIME AND
TALENTS WITH OTHERS.
KEEP WORDS KIND, ACTIONS CARING
AND TREAT EVERYONE AS YOU
WOULD LIKE TO BE TREATED.
FAMILIES AND FRIENDS CAN CHANGE
BLACK INTO COLOUR.