Considerations for today...
• How can NOTE & ACOT2 benefit DigiCom?
• How can they work for you and your teachers?
• What would be the next step?
is a free online service/platform that allows people to create
their own social network
• Serves the need of a specific community and works well when
• Acts as a vehicle for social media
• It is not Myspace, LinkedIn, Facebook- it allows more control
of the network
• Can be private, semi-private, or open
• ~850,000 Nings globally since 2005
◦ 40,000 between Jan. 1, 2009 and January 14, 2009
◦ 100,000 between Jan 1, 2009 and February 19, 2009
• 7 Things you should know about Ning
• Google Ad Sense can be removed for educational sites
◦ Student collections (platform for written, still, video, audio, web links,
Google Tools, and attachments)
◦ Relationships and connections through a community (local/
◦ Direct dialogue w/students, community, parents, or alumni as
friends or groups through messaging, chat, commenting,
media, or 'broadcasting'
◦ Portfolio building w/albums that feed to other sites
◦ Media container for presentation or critique
◦ Promotes writing and dialogue
◦ Reinforces ISTEs
■ Creativity and Innovation
■ Communication and Collaboration
■ Research and information
■ Critical thinking and problem solving
■ Digital Citizenship
■ Technology Operations and Concepts
◦ Exercises 21st Century Skills Framework
■ Life and career skills
■ Learning and innovation skills
■ Information, media, and technology skills
■ Supports core subjects and 21st Century themes
◦ 'My Page' can express personality and identity or uniformity
◦ Images, videos, blogs, etc, are automatically catalogued on
My Page, integrated into slideshows or video feeds, and can
be 'featured' or 'rated'
◦ Embed multiple RSS feeds and widgets (applications)
◦ Embed and/or generate HTML code for album slideshows and
◦ Customize navigation, choose templates, arrange layout, or
◦ Approve content (images, video, blogs, groups, events)
◦ Approve, Ban, invite, members or share admin rights
◦ Oh yeah.... Everything can be deleted with admin rights :)
• Ning in Education
• Art Education 2.0
• The Cue Community
• The Global Education Collaborative
• Social Nets in Education wiki
• Ning Help
• Ning Screencasts
• My Delicious / Ning
◦ Networking teachers and how technology is used in PSUSD
◦ Resource for what is going on using Web 2.0 tools
◦ Launched w/CTE teachers
◦ Scaleable for site coach use and PSUSD community as a whole
◦ Create events, socialize media, group and network, blog,
comment, feature and rank, improve communication....
"bridge the islands"