2. In particle physics, denoted as S, it is a property of particles, expressed as a quantum number for describing decay of particles in strong and electro-magnetic reactions, which occur in a short period of time. The concept was introduced by Murray Gell-Mann and Kazuhiko Nishijima to explain the fact that certain particles, such as the kaons or certain hyperons, were created easily in particle collisions, yet decayed much more slowly than expected for their large masses and large production cross sections. It was postulated that a new conserved quantity, dubbed S because of the above queer behavior, was preserved during their creation, but not conserved in their decay. Identify.
9. In mathematics, a X-Y pair consists of two consecutive integers (e.g. 714 and 715) for which the sums of the prime factors of each integer are equal: 714 = 2 × 3 × 7 × 17 715 = 5 × 11 × 13 and 2 + 3 + 7 + 17 = 5 + 11 + 13 = 29 These numbers were named by Carl Pomerance for X and Y because X’s career regular-season home run total was 714, a record which Y eclipsed on April 8, 1974, when he hit his 715th career home run. Pomerance was a mathematician at the University of Georgia at the time Y broke X’s record, and the student of one of Pomerance's colleagues noticed that the sums of the prime factors of 714 and 715 were equal. Solve for X and Y.
Answer <ul><li>Vijaya and Chandrika Kumaratunga </li></ul>
16. Identify the boy, and the man he’s riding.
Answer <ul><li>Hamlet and Yorick </li></ul><ul><li>Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio; a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy; he hath borne me on his back a thousand times ; and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is! </li></ul>
17. Pazuzu was an Assyrian and Babylonian demonic god of the first millennium BC. He normally has a dog-like face like here, and where his body is depicted he has a scaly torso, a snake-headed penis, the talons of a bird and usually wings. He is often regarded as an evil underworld demon, but he seems also to have played a beneficent role as a protector against disease-bearing winds (especially the west wind). Why did this demon come into popular consciousness in 1973?
22. It’s usually said that the human tongue can detect only four basic tastes: sweet, sour, bitter and salty, and that all tastes are combinations of these. In recent years some researchers have added a fifth taste, umami , to the other four, though western food scientists are divided about whether it really exists or not. What ingredient is usually used to provide the umami?
23. The world’s first ICBM (Inter Continental Ballistic Missile) was the R-7 Semyorka which was successfully tested in August 1957. Less than two months later, it was put to its most famous use. What?
24. Identify the band. And who was responsible for the sudden surge in the popularity of this song in 1992?
Answer <ul><li>Fleetwood Mac </li></ul><ul><li>Bill Clinton </li></ul>
*25. When Indian forces drove away the Portuguese from this colony, it became in the eyes of international law, an independent country. The residents of the colony requested the Government of India for administrative help. Mr. K.G. Badlani, an officer of the Indian Administrative Service (IAS) was sent as the administrator. In 1961, Mr. Badlani was, for one day, designated the Prime Minister of the ‘country’, so that, as Head of State, he could sign an agreement with the Prime Minister of India, Jawaharlal Nehru, and formally merge the ‘country’ with the Republic of India. Identify this former Portuguese colony.
Answer <ul><li>Dadra and Nagar Haveli </li></ul>
*29. Given below is a list of real women bedded by which fictional character? <ul><li>Jind Kaur, Dowager Maharani of Punjab </li></ul><ul><li>Lakshmibai, Dowager Rani of Jhansi (a dancing girl may have taken the rani's place) </li></ul><ul><li>Lily Langtry, actress and mistress of Edward VII </li></ul><ul><li>Masteeat, Queen of the Wollo Gallas </li></ul><ul><li>Lola Montez (Marie Dolores Eliza Rosanna Gilbert James) </li></ul><ul><li>Queen Ranavalona of Madagascar </li></ul><ul><li>The Silk One (a/k/a Ko Dali's daughter), consort of Yakub Beg </li></ul><ul><li>Yehonala, Imperial Chinese concubine, later the Dowager Empress Ci Xi </li></ul>
Answer <ul><li>Sir Harry Paget Flashman </li></ul>
*30. Identify the artist. Also, name the song for which this is roughly a sequel to.