Initial progressive stage
• One or more Hazy patches appear in the
deep layers of the stroma.
• Associated with uveitis ( iritis , cyclitis ,
• Presence of keratic precipitates.
• Diffuse corneal haze – ground glass
• Lasts for about 2 weeks
Florid stage ( 2 months )
Deep vascularization of the cornea – radial
bundle of brush like vessels.
Salmon patch appearance due to the
haziness of cornea.
May be moderate degree of superficial
Vessels & conjunctiva appears heaped at
Stage of regression
• Corneal haze resolves slowly & begins
from periphery towards centre.
• As cloudiness disappears , the vessels
become obliterated & they remain
permanently as fine opaque lines ( ghost
• Lasts for about 1 – 2 yrs.
Corneal haze & other typical findings on
slit lamp examination.
- T.pallidum immobilisation test
- micro haemagglutination assay
- fluorescent Ab absorption test
- topical corticosteroid drops ( 0.1% )
every 2-3 hrs
- atrophine eye ointment 1% 2 – 3
- dark googles for photophobia
- penetrating keratoplasty
- high doses of penicillin to
prevent further development of lesions
- systemic steroids can be given in
Features similar to syphilitic keratitis
except that it is frequently unilateral &
involves mostly lower sector of cornea.
systemic - anti TB drugs
Topical - steroids & cycloplegics
• A rare autoimmune disease of eye &
• Common in young adults.
• May be associated with severe vasculitis.
- vertigo , tinnitus & deafness.
- bilateral (IK) , uveitis & blindness.
• Urgent evaluation is indicated because
early treatment prevents permanent
deafness & blindness.
• Systemic & topical corticosteroids.