Why we need to ‘switch
on’ communities and
the private sector
The 10 LGA ‘Rewiring’ key propositions –
1. Give people a meaningful vote on local tax and spending .
2. Cut red tape: bring local services, decisions together in 1 place.
3. Merge 6 government departments, create an England Office.
4. Replace the Barnett formula with needs-based funding model.
5. Take financial distribution out of ministers' hands.
6. Strengthen local say: reduce minister power to intervene in LG.
7. End tick box, bureaucratic inspections: local user champs.
8. Boost infrastructure investment: municipal bonds.
9. A multi-year funding settlement tied to the life of a Parliament.
10. Protect local democracy: protect local government settlement.
Thank you LGA for fighting with a
positive vision and change
• Relationship with government in bad place.
• Negative propaganda dominates, negative spin
– fundamentally, a breakdown in trust, respect.
• Perception by residents of little impact of cuts:
the majority view of minority services.
• Damage to a generation of LG employees +
talent we need to attract for next generation.
– Why would a qualified young person choose a
career in LG?.....and the associated professions.
– Who would choose a career in Children’s Services?
– Adult Social Care?
Herefordshire: long-term performance
challenges and pressures.
• In Children’s Services, Safeguarding ‘Inadequate’.
• In Schools, GCSE 5A*-C attainment is lowest
improver nationally over last 5 years.
• In Adult Social Care, growth in demand has
accelerated, with significant under-performance.
• Economy: average wages £6,000 below national.
• Health: County hospital with £9mill pa black
• Social Care Bill – further substantial pressure.
• We are building new business models for each of
our re-focussed directorates, to be capable of
delivering tough twin track:
–Radically improve performance.
–Manage with 40% less Govt grant (34% of
• We must avoid ‘internalising’.
• We need to transform our local public services,
transform our economy – and we have the
determined, talented, focussed team to do it.
• Clear political focus, cross-party engagement.
• And…..we lack the funds to get the job done.
• So, we have had to be much more focussed.
• And we have had to get out and sell the message.
• Economic Devt.
»Shared Services/Service Support
»Integrate with Health
»Local communities take on services/
»The private sector – uplifted role as
The Impact of the cuts
We’ve taken out 18% of net spend.
Today, Children’s + Adults, at £86 mill
……….65% of net spend.
Of the remaining 35%, we need to take
out a further 23% (£33 mill).
Integrating with Health: a Journey
• Engaging with Health: one of our biggest
• Starting point: mutual misunderstanding,
different metrics of performance.
• By unremitting effort, establishing good jointworking arrangements, emergent jointteamwork and pooled budgets.
• Using winter as the testing ground.
• Essential: keep close to CEx/senior team.
Engage our Communities
• 1 in 3 people in Herefordshire
• Growing Gaps:
• Adults Living Independently
• Community Services
• Engage, convince, transfer, coordinate.
Engage the Private Sector
Strengthen support for the LEP.
15 year Economic Master-plan.
Major new link to education and skills.
Build business case for New University.
• 2013/14: narrowing over-spend gap by 70%.
– Cross-party engagement in prioritising.
– Coalition offered, in consideration.
– Draft budget developed, in consultation.
• 2015-17:Medium term financial plan in draft
• 2015/16 - The Cliff-Edge.
How are you approaching financial