Cut Through The Clutter
• Need to filter incredible amount of information.
• Advertising noise, seen as an interruption.
• Distrust of corporate messages.
• Consumer desire for greater control and
Strategy to reach them is Content Marketing and
social media engagement…
Develop compelling content that people
want to read.
What Makes Compelling Blog Content?
Foster culture of openness.
Be open about who you are, and reveal any connections.
Understand the level of commitment needed.
• Key to building trust through authenticity.
• Entertaining writing style and personalization
• Humor and personality do bring back readers.
Use that content to engage your
Gen Y audience.
Non Digital Natives
Also how the web works for Gen
X and Boomers.
Blogging is a content marketing strategy
that combines both SEO & Social
• Build a blogging plan
– Comments, who, when, what
• Blogging Assessment
– Research list of keywords
– Build list of blogs
– Tools for research and monitoring
– Help determine how much you need to blog in your community
– Enable you to develop a content strategy
• Understand Company Capabilities
– Culture? People? Resources? Time?
– Will your community provide the benefits you seek?
Blood, Sweat, and a Couple of Spreadsheets
• March 2006 customer outreach
• August 2006 sentiment monitoring 49% to 22%
• New model for customer outreach – Sentiment
• New tools for monitoring & customer engagement
Blogger Relations Tactics
• Media relations is not blogger relations.
• But it can be….
• Blogging conversation is the key, monitor the
community, post articles and comment on other
• To be successful you have to engage people on
your blog and across social media communities.
Sustain Evangelists, Sustain the Community
Seize the Opportunity
of the next decade!
1) Build a social media
2) Include a blog in the
3) Listen to put your company
4) Learn how to market to Gen
Y even if you don’t sell to
Gen Y as Gen Y changes
* Image courtesy of Dietmar Temps, via Flickr
– LinkedIn: John Cass
– Facebook: John Cass
– Twitter: @johncass
– Cell: 339-368-1955