My approach for the first 100 days
in post as Sales Director,
What is the first 100 days?
• Is it about creating plans?
• Is it about showing real potential?
• Is it about change?
• Is it about fresh ideas?
• Is it about growth – revenue & profit?
• Is it about reaffirming the hire?
• Is it about impressing at interviews?
• The answer is YES – the first 100 days is all this
• What is the Sales Director role?
• What are the steps to success?
• What about change?
• What is the most important thing?
• Agenda / Planning
• The next 265 days
Sales Director Role
• “Develop the sales strategy in line with the
overall business plan for the portfolio”
• “Manage the sales team through the Sales
Managers, agreeing sales performance and
revenue targets and using metrics to monitor
• “Communicate a clear message to motivate and
enhance performance from the team”
Sales Director Role cont...
• “Understand the marketplace and identify
opportunities for future growth”
• “Contribution to the strategic development of the
• “An opportunity to develop new initiatives and
drive change forward through the business”
• “Extensive international travel is required,
including regular visits to overseas offices and
Steps to Success
• Discuss the steps with the team
• Layout ground rules
• Look at the client expectations – now & future
• Adapt new ‘selling’ methods / channels
• Create opportunities for personal growth
• Motivate through rewards and achievements
• Motivating sales people across multiple
environments / business goals etc.. is challenging
• Putting (or adapting) metrics in place is key
• KPI – key performance indicators
• Numbers of calls / meetings / closes / etc...
• Pipeline management
• Targeted Account Selling (TAS)
• Change is good!
• Change benefits the individual & the organisation
• Change motivates & stimulates growth
• Change challenges & breaks the ‘status quo’
• Change defines
• Change creates new ideas & practices
• Change can be uncomfortable
• Change for changes sake is unproductive!
Agenda / Planning
• Day 1: Meet sales team / discuss plans & ideas
• Day 2: Meet sales team / discuss plans & ideas
• Day 3: Meet everyone else
• Day 4: HR (house keeping)
• Day 5: Set up meetings with XXXX colleagues
• Day 7: Conduct reviews / presentations
• Day 14: Spend time with marketing
• Day 15: Spend time with product development
• Day 16+: Meet clients (whenever possible)
The next 265 days
• Continue to address issues
• Build on successes
• Make recommendations for change
• Open new markets
• Investigate new partners – Internal & External
• Launch new products
• Meet more clients & potential customers
What is the most important thing?
• Develop – people & products
• Build on previous successes
• Become part of the team
• The first 100 days are critical for success
• It is about building lasting relationships
• It is about having an agenda / plan that is flexible
• It is about establishing the ‘new’ team
• It is about delegating, motivating & developing
• It is about creating & executing a clear strategy &
vision for continued growth
• It is about instilling a desire across the business to
continue and expand on the previous successes of