Beetroot Thoran Recipe
A stir fried dry vegetable.
1. 3 medium or 2 large beetroots (finely chopped or grated)
2. 4 to 5 tsbp grated fresh coconut
3. 1 tsp mustard seeds
4. ½ tsp cumin seeds (optional)
5. 4-5 shallots (quartered or sliced)
6. 10-12 curry leaves (whole or chopped)
7. 1 or 2 whole red chilies
8. 1 green chili/hari mirch (finely chopped)
9. ¾ tsp ginger (finely chopped)
10. 1 tsp turmeric powder
11. ¼ tsp red chili powder (optional)
12. 1 tsp coriander powder (optional)
13. ¼ tsp garam masala (optional)
14. 2 tbsp coconut oil or sunflower oil
15. Salt as required
1. Heat the coconut oil in a wok.
2. Pop the mustard seeds and add the cumin seeds.
3. When the cumin starts to sizzle, immediately add the shallots. Fry the shallots
on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
4. Now add the whole red chili, chopped green chili and ginger, fry for a minute.
5. Add the curry leaves.
6. Lower the flame and add all the dry masala powders including the garam
7. Make sure not to burn the masala.
8. Fry for a half a minute and then add the beetroot. Mix the chopped beetroot
9. Cook the beetroot without a lid with occasional stirrings. If the beetroot is
grated, they will cook faster.
10. This takes approximately 10-12 minutes for the grated beetroot to cook.
11. You can also keep the beetroot slightly crunchy if you prefer.
12. When the beetroot is cooked, add the grated coconut and cook for a minute or
two for the flavors to blend in. Switch off the flame.
For more information Visit Here