Coaching: Just for Athletes or for Executives, Too?
CLO Session – Coaching
Topic #1: Pre-Engagement
1. What are the typical reasons that coaching is considered as a development
2. Who is the client?
3. How are coaches selected?
4. How important is a coaches technical expertise vs. industry experience?
5. How is HR, direct manager, coachee or other constituencies involved in the coaching
6. What else?
• Succession planning
• Client is fully engaged
• Enhance improve performance
• Address/ identify behavioral derailers
• Union avoidance
• Strategy within leadership development process
Tech Expertise VS Industry Experience
• Incident based
• Competency gaps & strengths based
• Both *On boarding new hires/ new acquisition of a company
• Retention tool
• Building competency
• Change in organization
• Company/ Organization
• Line leaders
• Upper Management
• Volunteer executives
• Turning retirees into coaches With interest & passion
• Tech. Expertise For hand skills
• Ind. Expertise For soft skills
• Selection Past success
• Selection Coachee has inputs (Poll Strategy)
Topic #2: Coaching Application
1. How does the coaching engagement transpire?
2. How long are typical coaching engagements? Shortest or longest?
3. What assessments (i.e. multi-rater and personality) are utilized?
4. What kind of “check in” or progress updates are employed?
5. What else?
How does the coaching engagement transpire?
• In person
• Anytime anyplace & scheduled
• Personality profiling (e.g. Myers Briggs)
• Skills assessment
• Strength profiling
• Interview technique
• Part of talent management process
• Part of performance management process
• 6 + months.
• 1 – 6 months (i.e. as short as 2 hours)
• Program based
• Relationship based
• Program based- employees does follow-up coach/ coachee
• Deserved behavioral change
• Onboarding new hires
• Supporting partners not necessary in your line of business
• Gradual ascension in intensity of coaching (i.e. hard to soft skills, task to strategy)
Topic #3: Evaluation
1. Do you evaluate coaching engagement effectiveness?
2. How are coaching engagements evaluated?
3. What areas of the coaching field merit further exploration?
4. What else?
• Effectiveness – yes!
• Methods – 360 (loose)
• Areas for exploration – Prepare coaches
• Evaluate ROI||
• Associate #2 & #3
• How to change mindset from punishment
• Tie to performance
• Metrics that are individualized to leader
• Observed behaviors
• Prof. Assoc.
• Internal Vs. External
Who evaluates coaching effectiveness?
• Coachee’s mgr.?
• Coachee’s direct reports?
• HR generalist?
Is there tangible evidence that coaching works?