Founded in 2004, Road China Assistance (Beijing) Co., Ltd has 450 employees and generates EUR 37
M in annual revenue. It has offices in Beijing, Shanghai, Chengdu, Guangzhou and Qingdao.
Road China Assistance is a company wholly-owned by Mapfre Asistencia, a Global Insurance,
Reinsurance and Services Company founded in Madrid (Spain) in 1989 and operating worldwide. We
are present directly in 43 countries, and have more than 1,572 corporate clients, with 111.9 million
people who benefit from our services. We help increasing our partners’ business profitability by means
of providing assistance solutions for the insurance, financial, travel and tourism sectors as well as for
the automotive industry. We have been developing services to become leading experts in roadside
assistance and our travel assistance network provides the largest worldwide cover.
Mapfre Asistencia belongs to Mapfre S.A, a global insurer operating in more than 100 countries on all
five continents. MAPFRE retains more than 37 million customers worldwide, being:
• The foremost multinational insurance group in Latin America and leaders in non-life
insurance in the region
• A top 10 insurer in Europe
• A top 20 automobile insurance provider in the United States
• A listed company in the stock-market in Spain.
2. OUR SOLUTION: AUTO DIGITAL ECOSYSTEM
a. Breadth of services provided in responding to the needs of the market
In 2016, we are redesigning our Company’s Value Proposition for roadside assistance, leveraging a
new operational model which provides the flexibility to be ready for the future: Internet of things,
connected vehicles, e-Call and b-Call, sharing economies, O2O on-demand services, cloud-based
business models and more.
In order to meet consumers’ changing habits, Road China Assistance tailors a brand new Auto Digital
Ecosystem for China market:
• With roadside assistance as the core function, it combines many functions in one, supporting
mobile phones, computers, Telematics systems and other terminal equipment, and provides
convenient one-stop services to vehicle owners through WeChat and Mapfre’s Chinese
• Vehicle owners can report the case in one click, and receive assistance at the first time.
Moreover, they can get the real-time progress of the assistance and evaluate the services
• Mapfre China’s Auto Digital Ecosystem combines functions such as map, navigation, traffic
status, violation records, and air monitoring, bringing abundant services for the owners. Add
On services like Pay per Use or Special Network of Garages Selection are also under
• Clients have access to the real-time status of their driving behavior, navigation, traffic status,
air quality, auto policy status and claim. review the historical data and flexible reporting
• It can be tailor-made according to clients’ demands, adding or decreasing some of the
functions to create personalized solutions for clients, increasing loyalty of the vehicle owners
towards the brands.
With a system specially designed for the mobile internet era and WeChat, Road China Assistance leads
the way in the roadside assistance industry and designs comprehensive professional, efficient and high-
b. Innovation in services that resulted in the broadening of the market
Mapfre’s new digital blueprint was conceptualized based on the following principles. Even if some of
them are being already provided, it is the integrated offer in China that differentiates Mapfre:
• CUSTOMER CENTRICITY: End user self-service, Full digital case opening, Full digital
dispatch of cases for providers, Real-time connectivity among all the actors, Real-time
reporting and VOC, Automation and value-added services, Integrated payment, Connectivity
with social media and instant messaging platforms and vehicles, Multiservice platform
(clients’ services, own services and third party services).
• GEOLOCATION: Online case monitoring and digital dispatch through WeChat.
• INTEGRATIONS WITH CHINESE BACK END ARCHITECTURES: Online case
monitoring, Real-time analytics and reporting.
• DATA STORAGE: Secured cloud-based solution that leverages private cloud not publicly
available data centers with distributed servers.
c. Creating a benchmark of quality in service provision. Service flexibility and efficiency
that differentiates it from the pack
The drive to innovate is embedded in Mapfre;s DNA and leads us to build teams with specialists ready
to take charge of projects in times that would be challenging for most multi-nationals. The key
milestones of this initiative include:
• December 2015: Applying design thinking methodology, the first ideation session took place
before the year end 2015.
• March 2016: Once our value proposition was agreed by March 2016, we focused on ensuring
short term system deliverables to our partners and pilots to test the new solution, both the
technical components and the new operational model is tightly integrated with WeChat.
• July 2016: The first release was the solution for digital case notification. We had already
defined the operational model and trained our agents. We were already testing the new
digital case notification platform on WeChat.
• August 2016: After revising the operational model, adapting operational workflows, fixing
I.T bugs and ensuring full connectivity, the new digital communication platform was
released into full production. The next phase started: full flexible digital dispatch to
• November 2016: The first version of the solution for full flexible digital dispatch to
providers was delivered for user acceptance testing on WeChat.
• December 2016: The first pilot with end users, clients and roadside assistance providers was
successfully carried out in Shanghai. An implementation plan is defined to integrate clients
and providers and expand the solution to the whole country, all delivered through WeChat.
• March 2017: Expansion plan reaches top 10 cities in China in terms of service volume and it
is started the construction of the Business Intelligence Module.
• June 2017: Top 50 cities (60% of our volume) already integrated in the solution, providing
end-to-end roadside assistance self-service to end users. Business Intelligence Module on test
phase. Beginning of the definition of new innovation challenges aiming to enhance
automation: Service Bidding among providers, Automatic Selection of Repair Shop, Repair
Assist and Integrated Payment Model.
• Q3 2017 (est): Top 100 cities (+80% of our service volume) to be integrated in our solution.
Business Intelligence Module fully deployed and Integrated Payment Module on test phase
d. Proof of performance in the market in terms of increased market share, productivity,
revenue and/or profit
• Achievements at the end of Q1 2017:
- 17% of total case opening managed in the system
- 22% reduction on case opening time
- Productivity: +15% cases/agent/month
- Cost efficiency: - 20 agents (EUR 200K/year)
• Expected at the end of 2017:
- Stable SLA over 90% month-on-month
- Digital dispatch over 75% from Q3 2017. 2016 finished at 38%. Currently at 53%.
- Multi-case agents
- Improve perceived quality and NPS
- Providers: reduce cost and increase their efficiency
Business performance (expected at the end of 2017):
• 100% customer retention
• New business generation
e. Application and/or potential of application region-wide
Although the solution was conceptualized from a global perspective, Mapfre intends to deploy as a
China first initiative as a flexible and scalable market-tested solution connecting with business
stakeholders. Main features regarding scalability internationally are as follows:
• Multi-lingual / multi user mapping tailored to China’s road network.
• Exportable functional system design and software (geolocation, communities, multimedia
• Integrated with Corporate Core Systems at Mapfre.
• Real-time customer journey’s follow up
• Value-added services embedded
• Integrations with mobile APPs, B2B clients and service providers