Capacity building workshop for 2nd tier management upload
Capacity Building Workshop for
2nd Tier Management
23 -24 October 2013
You all have been promoted as
You are task is to make your Chamber
a Vibrant and Strong Organization
• What are 10 things that you
will change immediately?
• What rules will you break?
• What rules will you make?
• What will be the hurdles?
Your Challenges as Secretary General
Hire quality HR
Train and Retain
Build a professional organization
Understanding Chamber Business
A chamber is a voluntary membership
based business organization that
serves their member’s collective
Generic Roles of a Chamber/Association
• Work proactively to improve the sector's / region’s profitability and
• Work effectively to represent the sector's interests at all levels of
the legislative regulatory process (Policy Advocacy)
• Supply sound information and advice for members (PR &
• Promote exports and other market opportunities (Trade facilitation)
• Promote training and education (Training)
• Work to ensure practice of principals of good governance (Ethics)
21st Century Business Associations
Expectations - What our members expect from our association?
Vision – is our mission is member driven or board driven?
Mission – is our mission aligned with our vision?
Communication with Board members – do we communicate
vision/Mission with board members?
Trustworthiness – do we do what we say?
Communication – do we communicate effectively with our
Partners – are our partners are satisfied?
Board members – Are our broad members credible?
Committees – how effective and empowered our committees are?
Performance – Do we have a performance review system?
Monitoring – Do we have an effective monitoring system?
Leadership Development – Do we have succession planning in place?
Financial Management – Do we have a financial management system?
Governance and Ethics – Do we have any codes and do we implement?
Appreciation – Do we rejoice success?
Role of Office Bearers
• Develop specific objectives and business plan.
• Support and Execute business plan.
• Proactively participate in policy advocacy
• Promote Chamber’s image.
Role of Staff
Support and Implementation:
Staff and financial management
Program/service development and delivery
Policy recommendations to the MC/EC
Research and Development
Key Issues with Business Associations
• Inability to run chamber as a Business
• Lack of Vision, Mission, Objectives, Strategic Plan
• Poor financial management (budgeting, fund
raising, expense projection)
• Poor networking (no membership drive)
• Lack of staff capacity (inability to attract and
retain quality staff)
• Inability to attract member attention / support
• Inability to attract donor funds
• Lukewarm efforts for organizational development