• Missions is a church program
• Missionaries are a spiritual elite
• Missions is only about evangelism
• Missions always means going to another
• The church is part of God’s mission’s program
• Every believer is a “missionary”
• Missions is more than evangelism
• Everywhere is a missions field
A Theology of Mission
• Matthew 28: 19-20
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations,
baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the
Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to
obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I
am with you always, to the very end of the age."
THE OTHER GREAT COMMISSION
1 The LORD had said to Abram, "Leave your country, your people
and your father's household and go to the land I will show you.
2 "I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you;
I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing.
3 I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will
curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you.”
So Abram left, as the LORD had told him; and Lot
went with him. Abram was seventy-five years old
when he set out from Haran.
GOD KEEPS HIS PROMISES
Promise is repeated.
Promise is made to Isaac, Jacob
Blessing to Abraham & heirs
Blessing to those they interact with.
Promise extends to us as children of Abraham
We are children of Abraham!
6 Consider Abraham: "He believed God, and it was
credited to him as righteousness.“ 7Understand, then,
that those who believe are children of Abraham. 8The
Scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentiles
by faith, and announced the gospel in advance to
Abraham: "All nations will be blessed through you.“ 9
So those who have faith are blessed along with
Abraham, the man of faith.
You are all sons of God through faith in Christ
Jesus, 27for all of you who were baptized into
Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.
28There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free,
male nor female, for you are all one in Christ
Jesus. 29If you belong to Christ, then you are
Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the
What does this look like?
The place God calls you to is the place
where your deep gladness and the
world’s deep hunger meet.
10 For we are God’s masterpiece. He has
created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we
can do the good things he planned for us
long ago, that we should walk in them.
UNDERSTANDING THIS VERSE
• Poiema- “work of art”; poetry; Masterpiece
• Ktisthenes- created; as by an artist; as God
created universe; new creation
• Epi- for the purpose of, movement ending up
at a specific spot
• Prontoimasen- prepared beforehand by God
• Peripatesomen- walk a path
GOD’S BLESSING IS YOUR S.H.A.P.E.
• SPIRITUAL GIFTS
How has GOD blessed you?
How can you bless the world?
“WALKING IN GOOD WORKS”
God does nothing except in response to
believing prayer. Do all the good you can, by all
the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all
the places you can, at all the times you can, to
all the people you can, as long as ever you can. I
the chief of sinners am, but Jesus died for me.
Often attributed to John Wesley
RECAP: GOD’S MISSION
• Global, Universal, Inclusive, Personal
• Establishing His Kingdom
• Bringing His Salvation
DIFFERENT BIBLICAL WAYS OF
UNDERSTANDING OUR IDENTITY
• Disciple who is a disciple maker
• God’s masterpiece
• Blessed to be a blessing
• Salt and light
• Worker in the Master’s fields
• Good soil
JESUS’S LAST WORDS
18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All
authority in heaven and on earth has been
given to me. 19 Therefore go and make
disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the
name of the Father and of the Son and of the
Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey
everything I have commanded you. And surely
I am with you always, to the very end of the
For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew
in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he
planned for us long ago. Ephesians 2:10 (NLT)
BLESSED TO BE A BLESSING
….I will bless you; I will make your name great,
and you will be a blessing.
I will bless those who bless you, and whoever
curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth
will be blessed through you.”
Genesis 12: 2b-3
SALT AND LIGHT
13 “You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its
saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no
longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and
14 “You are the light of the world. A town built on a
hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a
lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its
stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.
16 In the same way, let your light shine before others,
that they may see your good deeds and glorify your
Father in heaven.
SHEEP vs. GOAT
34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who
are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom
prepared for you since the creation of the world.35 For I was
hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and
you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you
invited me in,36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was
sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to
40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for
one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did
WORKER IN THE FIELD
35 Jesus went through all the towns and villages,
teaching in their synagogues, proclaiming the good
news of the kingdom and healing every disease and
sickness. 36 When he saw the crowds, he had
compassion on them, because they were harassed and
helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. 37 Then he
said to his disciples, “The harvest is plentiful but the
workers are few. 38 Ask the Lord of the harvest,
therefore, to send out into his harvest field.”
…“A farmer went out to sow his seed. 4 As he was scattering the
seed, some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it
up. 5 Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much
soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow. 6 But
when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they
withered because they had no root. 7 Other seed fell among
thorns, which grew up and choked the plants. 8 Still other seed
fell on good soil, where it produced a crop—a hundred, sixty
or thirty times what was sown.
… 23 But the seed falling on good soil refers to someone who
hears the word and understands it. This is the one who
produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what
GOAL: WORLD CHRISTIAN
Ordinary believers whose lives have been
transformed by an extraordinary vision.
They have captured and been captured by
that vision. They see the world as God
sees it. They understand and feel the pain
caused by sin but are also thrilled by what
God has done and is doing to establish His
Kingdom and fervently desire to be a part
SIX WAYS TO GET INVOLVED IN
“OBEYING GREAT COMMISSION”
BLESSING THE WHOLE WORLD
HOW CAN I GET INVOLVED?
Read a missionary biography.
Pray for people you see in world news reports.
Take a course like KAIROS
Use the internet to explore different areas of the
world. Visit JoshuaProject.net.
Attend Mission Conference like Urbana or CMC
Do an internship at a missions agency or
• Sign up to receive prayer letters or e-mail
updates from missionaries and pray regularly
• Join or start a prayer group through your
church or among your friends.
• Check out: Operation World, Joshua Project,
Global Prayer Digest
• View J. Edwin Orr Prayer and Revival
• Go on a short-term cross-cultural trip with
your church or college group.
• Use your profession to share the good news
and Christ’s love among the nations.
• Contact a few mission agencies to see how
they might utilize your skills short term or long
• Use your skills in overseas opportunities.
• Pray about a missions worker God might want you to encourage.
• Create a local sending group. Consider sending care packages.
• Encourage a missions worker by e-mail, Facebook®, telephone or
Skype® webcam call.
• Share a meal, your professional skills, a car or guest room with a
• Financially support a missionary or project.
• Plan a trip with your life group to visit missionaries where they
• Start/join a home ministry team to encourage/support a
• Welcome missionaries home in practical ways.
• Help retire debt of recent grads who want to be missionaries.
• Become a friendship partner with an
international student through organizations like
International Students Inc.
• Introduce yourself to internationals in your
neighborhood or while shopping.
• Start an English class for internationals at your
• Volunteer at a refugee outreach.
• Connect with a local welcome ministry to a
specific people group.
• Advocate for a people group or a cause.
• Invite friends to an internationally-focused class or
• Volunteer with a mission organization.
• Invite a friend to join you on a short-term trip.
• Help bring a global vision course like Kairos to your
• Invite The Traveling Team to your campus ministry.
• Start a Global Ministry Group where people can learn
HOW GOI CAN HELP YOU
• KAIROS COURSE-30 hr. Mission course
• Our website: www.gointl.org
• Avance- summer cross-cultural course
• MIT- Mission Intercultural Training-Thailand
• STM- Mexico City; Uganda