Old School Goes New School
One College's Experience Developing
a Multi-Dimensional, Collaborative
Plan to get the Biggest Bang Out of
its Communication Efforts
College of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources
University of Missouri
First, we ask questions…
Who is our audience?
What is our goal and purpose?
How will we measure our success?
Who will communicate?
How will we communicate?
Who is our target audience in the
• Shared University and College
• Different Identities for Different
• Age Range
• Comfort Level with Technology
What is our goal and purpose for
• Increase Support for College (interaction
with current students, volunteer time,
• Increase Attendance at Events
• Help Alumni with Careers and Other
• Build Reputation of College
How will we measure the success
of our program?
• Visibly Increased Support for College
(volunteer time, financial gifts)
• Increased Attendance at Events
• How to measure career advancement and
Who Will Communicate with Alumni?
• University, College or Association
• Individual College Staff or Faculty
• Current College Students
• Other Alums
How Will We Communicate with
• Web site
• Online Magazine
• E-newsletters, E-mails
• Social Networking Tools
• Other (blogs, podcasts, videos)
Our alumni are interested in:
•Research going on in the
•Stories about students
•Photos from previous
•Stories about other alumni
What works best on a
Web site for alumni?
Show faces, not buildings
Sense of community
Use good stories as
many places as
One story will be
•News, Research, Alumni and Future Students sections of Web site
•Faculty and staff e-newsletter
•Facebook alumni group and Twitter
E-newsletters and E-mails
Example of e-mail sent
to alumni showing the
benefitted from the
fund. E-mail included
invitation to an
Written by students about
study abroad, career services and
life on campus.
Social Networking and Online Communities
Our Facebook Group
E-mail invitation to join Facebook
sent to new graduates
More to explore
• LinkedIn • Photos: Flickr
• Video: Youtube, Vimeo
University of Missouri
alumni groups in
Issues to Consider
• Difficulty of measuring ROI with
online communication and social
• Realistic expectations for time and
labor, long-term maintenance
Talk with your audience. What do they
Move toward your goal.
Check your progress.
Assign people communication roles.
Choose appropriate methods of
communication for your college.