Tropical Wet & Dry
● Location: Located near the Equator on
the outside edges of the Tropical Wet
– India, C. Africa.
● Temperature: 68-77 degrees
● Precipitation: This zone experiences
two distinct seasons (wet & dry).
– Dry season: >4 inches of rain.
– Wet seasons: +25 inches of rain.
● Vegetation: grasses, shrubs, few trees.
● Influences Climate: changing wind and
ocean currents. (Monsoons)
● Location: Most deserts are found along
the 30 degree latitude line (north and
south of the equator).
– Southwest Asia, North Africa
● Temperature: can range from -30-130
(Arid means dry not HOT)
● Precipitation: >10 inches of rain a year.
● Vegetation: The plants often have long
roots and are spaced out. Some examples are
scrub bushes, grasses, and cactus.
● Influences the climate?
1. Rain shadow affect
2. Dry air patterns
● Location: high elevation
– Mt. Kilimanjaro, Plateau of Tibet
● Temperatures: temperature drops
about 3 degrees every 1000 feet in
elevation. So, the temperatures in
Highland depends on the elevation.
● Precipitation: varies with elevation.
● Vegetation: vegetation might be
normal at the base but vegetation
become sparse as you move up to
the mountain eventually no
vegetation can survive
● Influences Climate:
Humid Continental (what we have..)
● Location: interior of continents
between the 30 and 60 degrees latitude
● Temperature: Humid Continental
climate is one of the few climates with 4
different season. (0-100!)
● Precipitation: Between 20 and 50
inches of rain falls in this climate zone.
Almost all regions with this climate
● Vegetation: A wide variety of plants are
found in this region. This climate is
excellent for farming since it has warm
summers and regular rainfall.
● Influences Climate: far away from
equator less direct sunlight. No large
bodies of water nearby for “insulation”
● Location: Found near equator.
(C. Africa, SE Asia)
● Temperature: only 1 season. Stays
warms and wet year-round. 60-80
● 100-300 inches a rain a year!
● Vegetation: only zone that can support
“true” rainforests. Rainforests cover
only 6% of the Earth but produce 40%
of the oxygen. Contains half the world's
animal and plant life.
● Influences the Climate: near the
equator receives direct sunlight.
● Location: 30o and 45o degree latitudes.
(mostly found around the Mediterranean
● Temperature: The climate is known for
warm to hot, dry summers (70s) and mild
to cool, wet winters (30-65 degrees).
● Precipitation: very dry during summer
months, wet during winter months. (20
inches a year)
● Vegetation: Plants in Mediterranean
climate must be able to survive long dry
summers. (shrubs & grasses)
● Influences Climate:
large bodies of water keeps it cool in
Summer months, and mild in the winters.
● Location: Semiarid climate is always
found on the outer edge of Arid climate
areas. Think of Semiarid as a transition
climate between dry and wetter
– Sahel (edges of Sahara)
● Temperature: depends on the
location/latitude. (similar to Arid).
● Precipitation: Considered semiarid if it
averages between 10-20 in./year Some
years these places may get 20-40 inches of
rain, but sometimes 5-10 inches.
(unpredictable for humans).
● Vegetation: scattered trees,
shrubs,grasses. Adaptions to persevere
Influences climate: seasonal
changes in wind and ocean currents
bring dry and “wetter” seasons.
● Location: The Humid Subtropical climate is
found on the east coast of continents
between 20o and 40o north and south of the
● Temperature: stays about 70 throughout the
year. Slight cool down during winter months.
● Precipitation: around 48 inches a year.
High temperatures cause evaporation
● Vegetation: mainly evergreen trees, bushes,
and shrubs. Many plants can be farmed here
since the growing season is sometimes 8
● Influences Climate?