The Mail app included with Windows 8 only supportsIMAP, Exchange, Hotmail/Outlook.com, and Gmail accounts. Mail offers POP3 as anoption when setting up the account – but if you select POP3, you’ll be informed thatMail doesn’t support POP.To use the Mail app with a POP3 email account, giving you features such as live-tileemail notifications and a touch-friendly interface for reading your email, there’s a trickyou can use.
• Use Outlook.com or Gmail• While Mail itself doesn’t support POP3 accounts, it does support Outlook.com and Gmail accounts. Both Outlook.com and Gmail have a built-in feature that fetches mail from a POP3 server and stores it in your webmail inbox. If you configure one of these services to access your POP3 account, you can add the webmail account to the Mail app.• To get started, visit Outlook.com or Gmail and create an account if you don’t already have one. Log into your account, click the gear icon at the top-right corner of either Outlook.com or Gmail, and select the Settings option.• On Outlook.com, click the Sending/receiving email from other accounts link.
• On Outlook.com, click the Add an email account link.
• On Gmail, click the Add a POP3 mail account you own link.
• Continue through either process and add your POP3 account details as if you were adding them to the Mail app itself. You’ll need to know your email address, password, the POP3 server’s address, and the port it uses. After you’re done, Outlook.com or Gmail will automatically fetch new email and place it in your webmail inbox.
• Add Your Outlook.com or Gmail Account• Go back into the Windows 8 Mail app and open the Settings charm. You can do this by pressing Windows Key+I or by swiping in from the right and tapping Settings. Select the Accounts option and tap or click Add an Account.
• Select Outlook or Google – whichever type of account you used above – and sign into the account with your username and password.
• The Mail app will now display the mail from your POP3 account, which is fetched by your Outlook or Gmail accounts. You’ll see new emails appear on the Start screen.