An Introduction to the Visual Medium
WHAT WE WILL LEARN
• What is Photography?
• What does Photography do?
• History of Photography
• Parts of a Camera
• Developing/ Processing
Through it we
communicate and share
and abstract thoughts.
Photographer is a master
of the language in which
he communicates, the
language of light and
• Tells a story
• Expresses emotions and feelings
Ansel Adams, Monolith, The Face of Half Dome,
Yosemite National Park, 1927.
photographing in Yosemite National Park from atop his car in about 1942.
Many come to the park to try to take the same photos he did.
Science and then Art
Jacques Henri Lartigue,
french Painter/ Photographer 1894-1986
Summer Visual Journal
• Bring in 10 summer images to create a VISUAL journal. These images
should be good photographs you took on your summer vacation.
Snapshots, landscapes, portraits, etc are all welcome.
• The 10 images should read as a form of communication without
• Students will share their summer journal to the class; classmates will
draw conclusions based on your photographs story.
• Please bring these images in on a jump drive or your new Mac Book.
They will be projected on the overhead in the MacLab.