HIV and Aids
H.I. Mr. Holley
What is it?
• HIV stands for Human immunodeficiency virus. HIV is
a virus that attacks the body’s immune system.
• Aids stands for acquired immunodeficiency syndrome.
Acquired means that they got the disease from their
partner, and it is not hereditary. (Robinson)
• immunodeficiency means that the immune system is
not able to function as well as it should be.
Causes and Symptoms
• The virus cant survive if it is just in the air. People can only be
infected by the exchange of body fluids. The fluids that are
exchanged are fluids such as, semen, vaginal urine, blood, and
human milk. (Meyer)
• The virus is most common when you have sex, when semen or
the vaginal fluids are exchanged. (Meyer)
• You can get HIV also by sharing any needles when doing
drugs, and if a mother has HIV , and breast feeds her child,
then the child is likely to get the virus too.
• The first stage of the symptom is flu like feelings.
• You will also start getting infections
How do you get it?
• You can get HIV by sharing needles
• By body fluid exchange
• Semen exchange during sex
• Vaginal fluids during sex
• If a mother breast feeds her child while she has HIV,
and then the Child gets it. (Meyers)
How do you prevent it?
• You can prevent getting HIV or aids by
using protection (Robinson)
• Also just not having sex (Meyers)
• Getting checked to see if you or your
partner are positive before having sex.
• HIV has no treatment
• For aids you can have chemotherapy,
or radiation treatment. (Robinson)
• If you have HIV, then you should avoid
doing anything that can spread it. You
should eat healthy and exercise
What I know about STDs is that you can have
different symptoms. For example in some diseases
you can get the diseases from skin to skin contact,
blood, or just from kissing. The STD that I have is
HIV and AIDS. What I know about HIV is that you can
prevent it from having sex. If you do have sex with
your partner, than you should have protection, so
you cannot get what your partner has. Before you do
any of this, you should also go get checked, just to
make sure you don’t have the disease.