H.I. Period 3
12 November 2010
What is it?
• Definition: HIV is a virus that attacks the body’s
immune system, making it unable to fight
infection. The National Institutes of Health (NIH)
defines AIDS as the most serious stage of HIV
infection that results from the destruction of the
infected person’s immune system.
• AIDS: Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome
• HIV: Human Immunodeficiency Virus
What are the Symptoms?
A patient that has HIV or AIDS can
experience flu-like or mononucleosis-like
symptoms. The patient will believe that
they have the flu or mono, and never think
of something as serious as AIDS. The only
way you know you have AIDS is to get
How Do You Get it?
• AIDS and HIV can be passed on from
person to person through sexual contact.
It can also be passed on by blood
transfusions and through intravenous drug
How Do You Prevent it?
• You can prevent AIDS by using safe
needles, having safe sex, or by just not
having sex at all.
How Do You Treat it?
• AIDS treatment and therapy are surgery,
chemotherapy, and radiation treatment
singly or in combination are utilized.
• I don’t know much about HIV and AIDS,
but I know that it can be very deadly. HIV
and AIDS are STD’s. I also know that HIV
and AIDS are not curable. HIV and AIDS
can be transmitted by sexual intercourse
or by someone’s blood touching
somebody else's. My feelings towards this
disease are very strong. I hope that one
day they eventually do find a cure for it.
• Robinson, Richard. "AIDS and HIV." Teen
Health and Wellness. Rosen, 2010. Web.
12 Nov. 2010.