Open Bioinformatics Foundation: 2014 Update & Some Introspection
2014 Update & Some Introspection
Hilmar Lapp, President
What is the OBF?
• Umbrella organization for the Bio*
projects (and EMBOSS)
• Non-proﬁt, entirely volunteer-run
• Dedicated to promoting the practice
and philosophy of Open Source
software development and Open
Science within the life sciences.
What does OBF do?
• Sponsor and run BOSC and other community-
• Code Fests (and hackathons)
• Mentoring organization in Google Summer of Code
• Advocacy to promote Open Source and Open Science
• Accepting and disbursing donations on behalf of
• Managing assets on behalf of our member projects.
U. Illinois Urbana-Champaign
O|B|F is governed by a
Board of Directors
Board of Directors
• Hilmar Lapp elected to a second term
• Nomi Harris elected as Director at-
large, second term on the Board
• Peter Cock elected as Secretary,
second term on the Board
OBF is participating in the
Google Summer of Code
• Eric Talevich (Biopython) & Raoul
Bonnal (Bioruby) serve as admins
• 6 Students working in Biopython, Bioruby,
• Promoting reciprocal inclusivity for umbrella
organizations such as OBF
Moving hosting to Open
• Commercial cloud hosting costs eat up
a major part of our income.
• OSL has expressed interest in taking
• Gathering the necessary information
has been slow and painful.
• Hoping to get this completed in 2014.
Sustainability is hard,
systems with volunteers is
• OBF sysadmin work rests on the same
too few people with too little time.
• Hard to be professional with volunteer
• Other all-volunteer tech foundations
have similar problems.
OBF is a membership
organization. Or is it?
2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013
(346 on dev)
• Improve our professionalism
• Increase what we do well. Divest of/
partner for everything else.
• Partner with organizations well
aligned with our mission and goals
• Identify the best ways to invest in our
Connect with us
• Web: http://www.open-bio.org/
• Twitter: @obf_news
• GitHub: http://github.com/obf/
• News blog: http://news.open-bio.org/
• Join us as a member.