• What is world bank?
• PRESIDENT AND BOARD OF DIRECTORS
• WHO RUNS THE WORLD BANK
• MEMBER COUNTRIES
• OBJECTIVE OF THE WORLD BANK
• GROUP MEMBERS OF WORLD BANK
• LAST REPORT
• WORLD BANK AND PAKISTAN
• SOURCE OF WORLD BANK FUNDS
• Founded in 1944, at Bretton Woods, New Hampshire
• Initial capital was $10b
• First loan to France in 1947 of $250 million
• 1947 - Incorporation into UN System
• 1979 - Lending for the fiscal year crosses the $10 billion mark for the first
• James D. Wolfensohn became the Bank president
• Today, the World Bank functions as an international organization that fights poverty by
offering developmental assistance to middle-income and low-income countries.
• By giving loans and offering advice and training in both the private and public sectors.
• The World Bank aims to eliminate poverty by helping people help themselves.
• Under the World Bank Group, there are complimentary institutions that aid in its goals to
Washington Dc and more than 100 offices in different countries
8000 employees in Washington and over 2000 in the field
Largest Funder of…..
• Very simple
• Our dream is a world free of poverty
• First president was James D Wolfensohn
• Current Jim Yong Kim
• President is selected by the executive board of directors
• President is responsible for smooth running of the bank and is forbidden from any
• Representative of world poorest nations
• Must be
• Impartial in decision making
• Large organizational running experience
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
• Board of directors are 24
• They are elected for two years
• 5 from US, Japan, Germany, France and Britain
• 19 Directors represent the rest of the nations like Australia, Cambodia etc.
• Under the IBRD Articles of Agreement, each of the five members having the largest
number of shares appoints an Executive Director
• President is elected by directors
• Should make decision impartially
• Should meet twice in a week to see the affairs
WHO RUNS THE WORLD BANK:
• They run like a cooperative, with their member countries as
share holders. The no. of shares a country has is based on
the size of the economy.
• Largest Share holder: United State (16.41% of votes)
• Followed by: Japan (7.87% ),
• Germany (4.49%),
• The United Kingdom (4.31%) &
• France (4.31%) .
• The rest of the shares are divided among the other member
• Ultimate Decision-Making Authority: Their
government represented by Board of Governors. These
governors are ministers, such as Ministers of Finance or
Ministers of Development.
• Day-To-Day Decision Making: Governors meet only
once in a year. They give specific duties to their Executive
Directors, who work on-site at the Bank.
• 188 countries.
• Pakistan availed membership on 1st July 1950.
• Panama is the first member country of world bank which got membership on
27 Dec 1945.
• South Sudan got recent membership on 18 April 2012.
• To become a member of the Bank, under the IBRD Articles of Agreement.
• A country must first join the International Monetary Fund (IMF).
• Membership in IDA, IFC and MIGA are conditional on membership in IBRD
OBJECTIVES OF WORLD BANK
• World Bank was to make loans to develop the war shattered
economies of Europe in 2nd World War
• World Bank also promote investment by means of guarantee to
• World Bank helps the poorer countries & providing source of
advice and information besides making loans
• Granting loans for
• Under develop countries
• Developmental purposes
• Power, Irrigation, Agriculture, Water Supply, Transportation and
Health etc. to governments
• Granting loans to private concerns for specified projects
• And also provide technical, economic and monetary advice to
member countries for specific projects
LAST REPORT OF 2013
• TWO AMBITIOUS GOALS IN A LAST REPORT
WORLD BANK AND PAKISTAN
• FEDERAL LEVEL….
IN 2007 WORLD BANK APROVED
US$350 MILLION TO SUPPORT
-- ENCOURAGING GROWTH
--INVESTMENT & GOVT POVERTY REDUCTION
• AT PROVINCIAL LEVEL WORLD BANK APPROVED US$430 MILLION IN
TO PUNJAB KPK SIND AND BOLOCHISTAN TO HELP IMPROVE
• HUMAN DEVELOPMENT INDICATORS
WORLD BANK AND PAKISTAN
• Providing assistance to Pakistan in various fields…
• Technical Assistance
• Some projects that have been carried out in Pakistan
• Banking sector technical assistance project
• Ajk community infrastructure and services project
• Kpk on farm water management project
• Ghazi Barotha Hydro Power Project etc
THE VICTIMS OF EARTHQUAKE :
• IN A 2005
• DEMAGED AROUND 575000 HOUSES
• GOVT CREATED AUTHORTHY OF
(ERRA) LAUNCHED US$1.5 BILLION
PARTIALLY FUNDED BY WORLD BANK
TO HELP PAKISTAN FIGHT AGAINST POLIO:
• THEY APPROVED 2 PROJECTS
• IN 2003 US $42.71 MILLION
• IN 2006 US $ 74.27 MILLION
• TO PURCHASE A POLIO VACINE
YEAR NUMBER OF POLIO CASES
SOURCE OF WORLD BANK FUNDS
• It was started to reduce poverty but it support united nations business interest
• The president of the bank is always is the citizen of US
• The decision making structure is undemocratic
• It is the instrument for the promotion of us or western interest
• Lack transparency to external public
• Resistance by some government
• Some actions needed to avoid
• Influence of US in Banks activities