Hiteshbhai C. Parmar
Roll No. 11
Semester – M.A. Sem. 2
Year 2013 - 14
Submitted to: Dr. Dilip Barad
Smt. S.B. Gardi Department of English,
Bhavnagar University, Bhavnagar.
“Postmodernism” is a term usually applied to the period in
literature, which was first used in the 1960s by literary
critics such as Ahab Hassan and Leslie Fielder. They both
have started and coined this term after the Second
World War (1939 to 1945). Earlier this term
was known as the cultural and aesthetic approach, but
later on this word or this term was invented.
• The term ‘Postmodernism’ is often applied to the literature and
art after World War 2 (1939-1945).
• It’s a reaction against the philosophical assumptions, values,
and intellectual worldview of the modern period of western
• Postmodernism questions everything rationalist European
philosophy held to be true.
• Postmodernism refer to a group of critics who inspired often by
the postmodern culture in which they live
• After World war 2
• Reaction towards the new status of the Word.
• Reaction against realism & modernism.
• “High art”, “High Culture” “Everyday Life”.
• Language as a reflection of reality.
• Postmodernism is Anti art.
• Postmodernism removes distinction Between
High– Law, Class – Mass.
• Many practitioners were there of postmodernism such as:
- Jean Baudrillard
Any sign is empty
Status and Taboos
Hyperreal between The private
• New literature, art, and culture after
world war 2 created, Analyzes of
those is known as Postmodernism. It
is opposed modernism.