THE FLYGSYSTEM 2020 (FS 2020) –
SWEDEN’S OWN STEALTH
• The Flygsystem 2020 ("Flight System 2020", internationally abbrevaiated as FS
2020), is an ongoing project by the Swedish Air Force to develop a stealth fighter
• Little public information exists about the project, which might not be possible
due to recent defense budget cuts and there are no official statements telling
what stage of development that the project has currently reached.
• In 2012, Lieutenant Colonel Lars Helmrich of the Swedish Air Force asked
members of the Riksdag to consider the development of a new jet fighter or to
upgrade all present JAS 39 multirole fighters to the NG model, claiming that the
early versions of the aircraft will be useless by 2020.
• Research study from the Swedish Material Board (FMV) initiated in 2006.
• Aeronautical design and integration of a Generic Future Fighter (GFF) with
stealth capabilities, super-cruise and long range.
➢ Parties involved:
Swedish Defense Research Agency (F01)
Volvo Aero LinkOping University (LiU)
Royal Institute of Technology (KTH).
Three internal payload bays in the fuselage
Canard configuration (i.e. a stealthy development of the
Canted fixed fins by stealth reasons
All moveable canards
Internal payload bays
Integration of future sensors and system architecture
Studies of a new engine
IN THE END…..
• The latest subscale demonstrator that has been designed and manufactured at Linkoping
University for a very low cost 50 k€.
• Incorporates the results from a research initiated by the Swedish Material Board (FMV) in
• After a successful maiden flight, the flight testing will continue during summer 2011 Water
tunnel and CFD analyses are/have been carried out and indicate that vortex brake-down at
higher angles of attack seem to interact with the fins.
• The demonstrator will be flown to specifically explore the effects of the vortices on the fins and
the risk for potential problems.