• AW169 AAS (Armed Aerial Scout) is a twin-engined armed
helicopter developed by AgustaWestland.
• It is a military variant of the AW169 commercial helicopter.It
can carry machine guns, missiles and rocket launchers to
accomplish a range of combat missions.
• The AW169 AAS was launched by AgustaWestland during the
Army Aviation Association of America Annual Convention in
• AgustaWestland developed the AW169 AAS as a contender for
the US Army's Armed Aerial Scout (AAS) programme.
• The AAS programme is intended to replace the army's ageing
OH-58D Kiowa Warrior helicopters with a new helicopter,
incorporating modern technology to meet the current and future
requirements of the army.
• Other contenders for the AAS programme include Boeing AH-6,
EADSAAS-72X+, Bell OH-58 Block II, Sikorsky S-97 Raider and
MD 540F by MD Helicopters.
• AW169 AAS is designed to meet the Armed Aerial Scout
• The AW169 AAS features a reduced number of
components accounting for its low maintenance cost and
• Its airframe has been toughened to resist threats. The
cockpit is made of night vision compatible glass and
designed for a clear view of the surroundings.
• The cockpit of AW139 AAS can accommodate two
pilots with two redundant control systems
available for both the pilots.
• The advanced glass cockpit is compatible with
night vision goggles (NVG) to support good
• Three multipurpose displays with touch screen
technology are provided in the cockpit.
• The AW169 AAS is equipped with two Pratt & Whitney
PW210 turbo shaft engines.
• 1,000shp class engine includes just five major rotating
components for supporting easy maintenance.
• Each engine delivers a maximum power output of
1,050shp at 6,000rpm to 6,409rpm.
• The AW169 AAS can fly at a cruise speed greater than
259km/h. It has a maximum range of about 550km and an
endurance of three hours.