Successfully reported this slideshow.
You’ve unlocked unlimited downloads on SlideShare!
Dr. Himanshu Hora
SRMS College of Engg. & Tech., Bareilly
• Architecture reviews are an effective way of ensuring
design quality and addressing architectural concerns.
• The principal objectives of a software architecture
review are to assess an architecture’s ability to deliver
a system capable of fulfilling the quality
requirements and to identify potential risks.1
1. P. Clements, R. Kazman, and M. Klein, Evaluating Software Architectures: Methods and Case
Studies, Addison-Wesley, 2002.
Products and plan
send out packages
Author Moderator Reviewers
Data Flow Diagram Of Architecture Review
• Work products (design)
▫ use cases
▫ class diagrams
▫ primary responsibility of each class
▫ sequence diagrams
▫ what will be reviewed and the order
▫ what types of issues will be covered
don’t hide risks
Work Product & Plan
• Intro- history, key problems, important decisions,
requirements, designs, analysis etc
• Agenda- Order materials will be reviewed.
• Criteria- Define the various fields
• Work products- Use cases, class diagrams, sequence
• Reviewer assignments- What each reviewer is
responsible for; e.g. give each reviewer
responsibility for a subset of the classes
Roles In Review Process
• Moderator – not a member of reviewed team
– keeps review moving
– ensures all voices are heard and key points covered
– ensures decisions are made: accepted,
major/minor revisions, further review
• Recorder – member of the reviewed team
– takes notes, records all issues raised and decisions
reached, all questions, suggestions, and action
– publishes a report of the review
– Raise questions, concerns
• Author and design team
– Answers questions but is otherwise silent
Goals Of Architecture Review
We perform architecture reviews to ensure:
• The architecture of a system is documented.
• It provides a coherent description of the system.
• It is conformant to State and Agency principles,
standards and plans.
• It is compatible with the legacy technical landscape.
• That the chosen technology and design is likely to
achieve the project’s goals and objectives.
Benefits of Architecture Review
• Identifying potential risks in the proposed architecture
• Assessing quality attributes (for example, scalability,
• Identifying opportunities for reuse of artifacts and
• Promoting good architecture design and evaluation
• Reducing project cost caused by undetected design
• Capturing the rationale for important design decisions
• Uncovering problems and conflicts in requirements
• Conforming to organization’s quality assurance
• Assisting stakeholders in negotiating conflicting
• Partitioning architectural design responsibilities
• Identifying skills required to implement the proposed
• Improving architecture documentation quality
• Facilitating clear articulation of nonfunctional
• Opening new communication channels among
• Dr. Himanshu Hora
• SRMS College of Engg. & Tech., Bareilly