Hadera-Eiron-Southeast Consortium Partnership
• Born in 2001
• Includes 5 communities in israel – Hadera, Pardes Hana-Karkur,
Katzir Harish, Alone Regional Council and Menashe Regional
• And 6 communities in the United States – 3 in Florida and 3 in
The Jewish Agency’s Partnership 2000 program (P2K) has
become the paradigm for successfully partnering global Jewish
communities directly with Israeli communities. • operated by Jewish Agency staff in Israel and Federation staff in
the US, with a steering committee of volunteers in Israel and the
An extraordinary global platform connecting some 550 US.
communities around the world in 45 partnerships, P2K is
building living bridges among these communities. Sharing ideas,
strengths, challenges and models of success; and empowering Main programs
BOTH communities to generate waves of change. But the impact • Nivheret YP2K – Youth leadership program in partnership
of these projects go far beyond the community level—each of us region high schools. Teachers from school staff work with teen
has the opportunity to become directly and personally involved. groups on social change, volunteer work and Jewish peoplehood
•Summer camps – Nivheret YP2K graduates who are chosen to
A local endeavor with national impact, each P2K partnership represent the Partnership, attend the communities’ summer
provides the opportunity for communities to connect and camps as participants and counselors.
interpersonal relationships to flourish. Through a shared
committee process of the partnered communities, every year • Jewish Lens – values and community through photography – a
more than 10,000 volunteers work together to examine issues program dealing with jewish identity, through the photographic
and responses, to determine projects and budgets. The principal medium. Works in Pardes Hana, Pinellas County and
areas of involvement within the individual partnership regions Jacksoinville.
are effecting change in education and fostering economic • Educators Delegations – every year, a group of educators visits
development. the Partnership region, conduct educational lessons and form
personal and educational connections.
One of the most exciting and far-reaching aspects of P2K is the
mutuality of impact. Volunteers from abroad that come to Israel
to be involved in this process return to strengthen their own
TN Knoxville Regional
Culture and the Arts
In recent years, Pardes Hanna-Karkur has
•The local authority was created in 1969 from the consolidation attracted more than a few artists and
of the Pardes Hanna and Karkur authorities. entertainers from Tel Aviv and the Center.
This wave was led by Hans and Ilan Plada from
•There are 31,500 residents of Pardes Hanna-Karkur.
/ by Ehud Banai Plastic Plus, one of the leaders of the
•The land that Karkur sits on was bought by the World Zionist Bohemian Shenkin Street, who were joined by
Since you left, the
Organization through the Hachsharat Hayishuv Company. darkness here is various artists and entertainers, such as the
growing songwriter Shimrit Or, the singer and
•The Company created the name Pardes Hanna from Pardes Your light still shines,
(Hebrew for orchard) since it was planned that the settlement still glows
songwriter Meir Ariel z”l, the singer Avraham
would be based on citrus fruits and Hanna after Hanna It’s a few local shows, Tal and various other musicians, artists
Rothschild, the daughter of Nathan Meir Rothschild, the uncle You know (and healers).
of the famous benefactor Baron Edmond James De Rothschild. The same song of
pain, over and over Another informal tradition in Pardes Hanna
•In 1935, the Pardes Hanna Agricultural School was established And in a different during the 1990s was called Hashikshuk. On
in the settlement. It was named after Baron de Rothschild who
Around the Shabbat
the first Friday of each month, local residents
died in that year. The school was established by the Association Table got together for a Bedouin-style market in the
of Farmers and was the first agricultural school to include a full Everybody sits
academic matriculation program as part of its curriculum.
center of Pardes Hanna. Anyone could sell
You and I as well second-hand goods or artistic creations. The
•During the British Mandate, Pardes Hanna and Karkur were Worlds of calm bazaar also included food stands, arts and crafts
located in the heart of a giant complex of British military camps, Pardes Hannah-
booths for children, workshops and booths for
a remnant of which is Mahane 80 (an IDF training camp).
A lonely eucalyptus holistic treatments, as well a raised stage on
Whistles Canaanite which people could perform.
•There are 46 synagogues of various types in Pardes Hanna-
Karkur: Sephardic, Ashkenazi, Ethiopian, Iranian, Iraqi and
Main sites in the city:
•Hillel-Yaffe Hospital – named after Hillel
Yaffe, the doctor who treated malaria
patients in Hadera.
•Nahal Hadera Park, the Sharon Park and
•The Orot Rabin power station – the biggest
•Beit Hankin – Beit Olga and Yehoshua
Hankin, who purchased the land for Givat
Olga in order to build a resort.
a s a mosh •The Han Museum – including a collection
ablished h in 1891.
of items from the early years of the
•Hadera f the First Ali settlement.
member om •Beit Avshalom Feinberg – in Givat Olga;
rived fr ae on the
Hade ra is de for alg
includes a museum and café.
•T he name e Arabic word •The Heftziba Farm – A farm established in
. 1906 and active until 1926. serves as the
su rface of living in Electricity Company’s main information
re sidents center and short films are presented there
are some which tell the story of the site.
•There •Hadera Technoda – a space museum that
b y olim f includes a planetarium and space
ablished d Latvia
era was est uania an
•Had vna in Lit
h •The Brandeis Democratic School – the first
Viln a and Ko which h
in a Han
democratic school in Israel.
irst live ric site •Lev Hadera Mall – located in the heart of
ttlers f a histo e area.
•The se rved as n t of th Hadera on Rothschild-Hagiborim streets.
been pr e settle
•Yad Lebanim – located on Rothschild
commem under d
ifficult Avenue; includes sculptures, pools, fish,
tlers liv m bridges and a museum in memory of the
the set d suffered fro
•A t first, a n attacks local residents who have fallen in Israel’s
onditions uffering from
swamp c ell as s edouins
mala ria, as w h e local B •A resort of the Association for the Welfare of
ks and t
from the Tur Soldiers in Givat Olga.
Nahliel, Givat Bilu, Beit Eliezer, Heftziba, Neve Haim, Brandeis,
Shechunat Ha’Otzar, Nisan, Pe’er and Ganei Alon.
Pin ellas County
The Jewish co 25,000.
synagogues in the Count
Pinellas County has an area of 450 square There are 12
kilometers. em entary school
as a Jewish el s synagogues
The County h in the variou
in the city of
There are 24 cities located in the Country. There is a Hol
in the County
whi ch is located
ed the Hader
The County was established in 1911 and its name is co mmunity join .
The Pinellas eated in 2001
00 w hen it was cr
derived from the Spanish expression Punta Pinal, Partnership 20
s program th
the Jewish Len
which means "pine point". The commun
live in the city
There are 921,000 residents in the Country. embers of th on of most o
Most of the m also the locati
Clearwater, w stitutions.
Tourism and Industry community in
•Pinellas is considered to be a major tourist center and
includes attractions for singles, couples, families and the
•The Pinellas economy is based on, among other things, a
large number of old age homes dispersed throughout the
•Most of the Pinellas residents are employed in healthcare,
tourism manufacturing and banking.
•Pinellas has about 38,000 businesses.
•The Scientology movement, which has some celebrity
member such as Tom Cruise and John Travolta, located its
world headquarters in Clearwater. The headquarters is
housed in an impressive building and recently the
Alona Park – includes an
archeological site from the Roman
period and a water channel that one
The Regional Council includes three moshavs in can walk in.
western Ramat Menashe – Amikam, Aviel and
Nahal Taninim – A river that flows all
Givat Nili. year round, which starts in Ramat
Menashe between Daliya and Ein
The Regional Council was established in 1953. Hashofet.
There are three moshavs in the Region, which
belong to the Herut-Betar movement.
Moshav Aviel – A small, pastoral moshav of the Herut movement,
originally called “Yad ha-14”. It is named after Yisrael Epstein, whose
Most of the population is involved in agriculture,underground name was “Aviel”. He was an Irgun emissary in Rome
who was killed on December 28, 1946 in an attempted escape from an
particularly vineyards and deciduous fruit trees. Italian prison.
Moshav Avikam – Established in 1950 by immigrants from North
The region has 1600 residents. Africa and Jewish refugees who had fled to Manchuria in China after
the Bolshevik Revolution. In 1956, the moshav absorbed families from
Poland who arrived after the Second World War. Some of the families
The area of the region is 32,000 dunam earn their living from agriculture, which includes peaches, plums,
nectarines, loquats, etc. The Tali Alona elementary school is located
(8000 acres). on the moshav.
Moshav Givat Nili – Established in 1953 by immigrants from Iraq,
Turkey and Tunisia. It is named after the Nili underground which
operated in Israeli in the early 20th century.
ity rs, most
Jewish Commun t 14,000 membe
unity has orhood.
in the ish comm Mandarin neighb r Conservative
in area Jacksonv
ille’s Jew in the es, fou
arge st city hom live synagogu hich are
s the l of w o Reform gogues, three of w
nville i ome to tw na
• Jackso ates. n Th e city is h four Orthodox sy ad movement. rvices,
Unite d St st regio orth es and e Chab welfare se ry
s t Co a synagogu d with th er (JCA), menta
in the Fir land in the N m identifie mmu nity cent Jewish ele
located Amelia Is tine to
ille has a
Jewish co ool centers, two
•The city is om gus Jacksonv pre-sc h hools.
ches fr e and St. Au e center, rnoon sc ogram of
whic h stret onvill a Jew ish old a
d two aft Tikkun Olam pr
s schools a ed the ville.
thr oug out h. kson ville join h began in Knox
the S e 13th , Jac ns.
C oast in and th istory
H Last year ership 2000, whic years ago by India
lorida Partn ttled 6000
ci ty in F . e area was first se ea in 1562.
largest ed States al finds, th d in the ar ritish and
•I t is the it archaeolog
ic first arrive ly under B
he Un According to rom Europ
larg est in t Explorers f nville, was
ding Jackso ontrol. ws and
fF lorida, inclu Spanis hc p oint for co
The State o ey supply e war
v ille was a k m es during th
ar, Jackson s several ti
Americ an Civil W it ched hand
During the The city sw battles. Great Fire
e Co nfederacy. ot the site of any wn as The
iding th h it was n became kn
o eriod of
hogs and a even thoug y fire that a. During a p
s ravaged b d in Florid
wn area wa ve occurre ,000 reside
In 1901 , the down
is asters to ha and left 10
the worst d ess district
d is one of city’s busin industry
of 1901 an ef ire destroy
eless. an d the film
8 hours, th hom in the city
a n locating
tudios beg wood. center, in
1 910, s ilent film s l the ri se of Holly nd insurance
Starting in unti banking a
flourished e became a quarters.
d their main head y during th
During the same p ra tions locate yer in the cit
rous corpo and emplo
hich nume omic force
w major econ ases there.
vy became a it b uilt three b
The US Na 1940s when
•Pioneer village at Kibbutz Ein Shemer –
composed of a number of original and
reconstructed buildings from the early years of the
•Sha’ar Menashe Psychiatric Hospital – the largest
•Established in 1950.
Established psychiatric institution in Israel.
•Area of the region – 160 thousand dunam (40
Area •The Border Guard Museum and Memorial.
thousand acres) ranging from the Menashe Forest in •The Givat Haviva Seminary – for the
the North to Kibbutz Magal in the South and from the advancement of equality and human dignity. The
Green Line in the East to Hadera in the West. Seminary implements activity for the advancement
of equality between Jews and Israeli Arabs, as the
basis for peace with the Palestinians and the Arab
•There are 13 thousand residents in the region. states. The Seminary provides courses in Holocaust
studies and the history of the youth movements
•The region has 10 kibbutzim: Barkai, Gan Shmuel, Kfar
The Barkai, Shmuel, and carries out educational research and activity
Glikson, Lahavot Haviva, Magal, Ma'anit, Meitzar,
Haviva, Magal, Ma'anit, Meitzar, based on archival material related to kibbutz
Mishmarot, Ein Shemer and Regavim.
Regavim. values and social solidarity.
•The Alonei Yitzhak Youth Village with 400 Grade
7-12 students from all over the world.
•7 moshavim: Gan Hashomron, Kfar Pines, Maor, Mi
7 moshavim: Hashomron, Maor,
Ami, Ein Eron, Sde Yitzhak and Talmei Eliezer.
and s - live
•and 3 Arab villages: Meisar, Um el Kutuf and El Arian.
and Meisar, us r
gio embe ion.
bs, hav m he Re tion
Ara mos s a
and ena duc the
•Close to half of the Regional Council’s budget goes to
Close Council’ ws tz and the M tto is e epting itful
Je bu in o c u
education. Emphasis is placed on education to instill kib ether n’s m and ac is of fr ashe
to Regi ance e bas en les
values and on excellence. The region’s school system
region’ r eM
The s tole orm th e in th t peop le
emphasizes the principles of mutual responsibility, a rd hf lif ren idd
tow r, whic . Daily t diffe the M
e e a in
tolerance and preservation of nature. oth istenc roof th even
x p ,
coe ion is gether st.
Reg live to Ea
•The Menashe Regional Council plenum includes 10
women, more than any other regional council in Israel.
The Capital of Country Music
Since the 1960s, Nashville has been a major
center for performances and the recording of
The capital of Tennessee country and Christian music. It is the second
largest center for the production of music
Located on the Cumberland River in Davidson Country in the (after New York).
north-central part of the State. In 2006, the music industry in Nashville had
an annual turnover of $6.4 billion and
A major center for health services, music, publishing and employed about 19,000 workers.
The population of the 13 counties of Metropolitan Nashville munity
numbers about 1,200,000 which makes it the largest metropolitan Jewish Com
area, and the fastest growing, in the state.
eration of N for all the
• Th e Jewish Fed organization
e umbrella ed in 1936.
Nashville was established by James Robertson and a party of
Wataugans in 1779. It was original called Fort Nashborough after Tennessee – th unity; creat
ewish comm bers around
Francis Nash, a hero of the American Revolution.
org anizati ons in the J ashville num
unity in N
•The Jewish comm 7800.
Nashville is home to more than 250 health care companies, and Chabad
including, among others, the Hospital Corporation of America,
which is the largest private operator of hospitals in the world.
•There a re Orthodo Nashville.
nagogues in ity center
s had a Jew ish commun
The automotive industry in central Tennessee is also growing in
•The co mmunity ha
importance. since 1902. called the
Je wish school
The other major industries in the Nashville area include: insurance, The community h
as a central 1954.
• which began roviding
finance and publishing (primarily religious publications). The town
A kiva School, Communit y has been p
is also the location of the operational headquarters of a number of
ervice to the r 150 years.
Protestant denominations: the United Methodist Church, the South •Jewish
the c ommunity fo med Get
al services to program na
Baptist Convention and the National Baptist Convention, USA. soci th-exchange
erates a you 2000
• Nashville op throug h Parntership
Nashville is gradually becoming a major filmmaking center. A Connected
number of popular films have been made in Nashville, including The
•The country seat and commercial center of
Lee Country in Florida.
harlo tte coun
•The city has 69,000 residents. Com munity in L ee and C out 5,000.
Jewish h community numbe
The Jew clude Fort My
•Established in 1886. (which gues.
as 11 synago ngs
m unity h h year and bri
•Thomas Edison, the inventor of the light The com fair eac ings.
bulb, and Henry ford, the founder of the ity holds a s and m
The com authors for le aeli
Ford automobile company, located their us ewish and Isr
winter homes in the city, which are now in vario olds a J
popular tourist sites. r, the commu
E ach yea l. nual Isr
tiva he a n
film fes ents is t includes
•In 2004 and 2005, the city was hard-hit by nity ev
ain commu in March, and tion of Israeli
hurricanes which caused extensive damage. One of the m takes place exhibi
l, whic h vities and an
Festiva aeli food, acti
•The Boston Red Sox and Minnesota Twins shows,
baseball teams train here during the spring. produc
Hammond Stadium – in which Major League baseball teams practice.
Winter homes of Thomas Edison and Henry Ford.
About 50 private and public golf courses that attract many tourists and
Calusa Nature Center and Planetarium – an environmental education
Downtown and waterfront areas.
The Jewish community in Chattanooga numbers
General Information Chattanooga has a Jewish elementary Sunday
Chattanooga is the fourth largest city in the state school. In addition, there is a Jewish high-school
of Tennessee. level Sunday school, with classes and social
activities for youth. The youth also serve as
The city is located in southern Tennessee counselors for the elementary school.
between the Chickamauga and Nikajik rivers,
both of which are part of the Tennessee River. The Chattanooga community offers an adult
education program which includes lectures by rabbis
The city is nicknamed: The Scenic City and leaders of the Jewish community.
Chattanooga's first residents were Indians. There are three synagogues: Orthodox,
Conservative and Reform.
The Chattanooga economy is based on
manufacturing and service industries. The Chattanooga community has had an ongoing
relationship with the Alonim School in Pardes Hanna
There are a total of about 170,000 residents. for a number of years. Pupils and teachers in the
two communities exchange letters and photographs
Tennessee Aquarium – Largest fresh-water aquarium in the and maintain ongoing contact.
world. Includes over 12,000 animals
Attractions along the shores of the Tennessee River.
Chattanooga Choo-Choo Holiday Inn Hotel – Located in a
renovated train station and contains the largest model train
in the US.
The Creative Discovery Museum - Children's museum for
science, art and music.
Hunter Museum for American Art.
Tennessee Boardwalk – about 20 kilometers long.
Numerous parks and nature preserves.
There are three settlements in the region:
The settlement was first established in the 80s as a
Nahal military outpost and in 1982 it was decided to
The region is located in settle civilians there and to transform it into a
kibbutz. In 1993, the kibbutz was abandoned and
northwestern Samaria, near the has not been populated since, apart from a Border
Eiron River and the Guard unit that is stationed there.
A settlement called Harish, with 300 housing units, was
Eiron Interchange. established on the abandoned land of the kibbutz.
In 2003, an organized group of about 50 religious
families moved into the settlement.
The area of the region is about
9000 dunam (2500 acres). a settlement consisting of two neighborhoods located
on two separate hills in the Har Amir Ridge, about
400 meters above sea level. The neighborhood on
The region has 4000 residents. the western hill was established in May 1982 as a
communal settlement on land owned by the Jewish
Agency. The second neighborhood was created in
1990 on a hill to the southeast of the first one in
order to provide housing for immigrants from the
Former Soviet Union who were arriving during the
90s. Most of the residents on this hill are new
immigrants. In the future, an additional
Mitzpe Ilan – neighborhood is planned on the east hill.
In June 2002, a Nahal military outpost was
established between Katzir and Harish and
was manned by groups from the Scout
movement. In April 2005, about 40 families
were settled there by the Or Mesimot
movement, with the goal of transforming it
into a civilian settlement. The settlers
named it “Mitzpe Ilan” after the first
Israeli astronaut Ilan Ramon.
oThe third largest city in the state of Tennessee.
oOf the four largest cities in Tennessee, Knoxville is the oldest. It
served as the state's capital from its founding in 1796 until 1815. m
h Com ity in K
Jewis mmun .
t 1800 al Jewish
oOne of the city's nicknames is The Marble City since it served as a
h co u
Jewis bers abo a centr
distribution center for marble at the beginning of the 20th century.
T he num r,
a s l cente for
nity h pre-schoo rvices
oThe city is named after Henry Knox, the first Secretary of War.
comm hool, a elfare se
The ary sc
oKnoxville is home to the main campus of Tennessee University
ts and ilies.
which is known for its football and women's basketball teams.
e lem ovemen m ti ated s
oThe Women's Basketball Hall of Fame was opened in Knoxville in
m Jew mmish fa unity ini rates a
ill e co h ich o rt of the
oIn 2005, the city had a population of more than 180,000 – 79.7% noxv rogram w . As pa
white, 16.2% African-American, 1.45% Asian and 0.31% native The K lam p ip 2000 v
isit th of
un O rtnersh legations tours
Tik f Pa de oy r
oKnoxville's economy is largely dependent on four large employers
p a rt o m, youth n and enj voluntee
a io in
progr -Eron reg rticipate wards, a
in the city: the University of Tennessee, the Oak Ridge National
Laboratories, the National Transportation Research Center and
the Tennessee Valley Authority. Due to its location on major
H adera try and p ion. Afte travel to
transportation routes, numerous distribution centers and n eg
warehouses of major corporations are located in the city and on its th e cou y in the r aeli youth tivities.
t r c
activi tion of Is lunteer a
deleg ville for v