THE SUN OF MY WILL
• Published by Libreria Editrice Vaticana.
• Written by Maria Rosaria del Genio, expert writer of
the history of mysticism and the life of saints.
• Preface by Cardinal José Saraiva Martins, Prefect
Emeritus of the Congregation for Saints’ Causes.
• Afterword by Archbishop Giovan Battista Pichierri,
Archbishop of Trani and Nazareth.
• First ofﬁcial biography published by the Church.
S.G. Luisa Piccarreta
• Luisa was born in Corato, Italy, on April 23, 1865.
• From the time she was 3 she had nightmares with
demons. Our Blessed Lady would protect her and
chase them away.
• At 9, she received her First Holy Communion and
Conﬁrmation. She starts hearing our Lord’s voice.
• At 11, she joined “Daughters of Mary” and ﬁnally
overcomes her fears of the devil.
• Luisa wanted to become a nun but her mother
opposed her. Jesus calls her “little nun.”
• A few years later, Luisa joins the Dominican Terciaries.
• At 12, Luisa starts a continuous dialog with Jesús who
wishes to have her become his “perfect image”.
• Luisa starts a life of mortiﬁcation in which Jesus
teaches her the life of the virtues.
• To imitate Jesus’ life, she needs to enter into the
immense sea of His Passion.
• Luisa ﬁnds the fount of all graces in the Passion and
writes the “Hours of the Passion”.
• At 13, from her
balcony, she sees
Jesus carrying the
“Soul, help me.”
(Does not appear in the
• Luisa begs Jesus
to let her suffer like
Him to alleviate His
• Luisa is given a 3 year test in which Jesus hides
from her and she is tempted and tormented by
• This trial puriﬁes Luisa and makes her a habitable
dwelling in which Jesus can live forever.
• At 17, Luisa starts living a “new life” whereby she
would fall unconscious and rigid, as if dead. While
in this state, she sees Jesus being beaten to death
and she would see Virgin Mary who would pickup
Jesus and asks Luisa to kiss His wounds.
• Luisa offers herself as a “victim soul” and Jesus
shares His crown of thorns with her.
• Luisa had a vision of suffering Christ who gives her
His crown of thorns. Afterwards, she will not be able
to open her mouth, not even to eat.
• Luisa starts suffering these episodes in front of her
family who is now concerned about her state of
unconsciousness and rigidity.
• Luisa is taken to various doctors who are unable to
understand her condition and advise them to “call a
• By 18, Luisa is forced to stay in bed due to these
episodes and her inability to eat.
• Luisa’s family calls on Fr. Cosma Loiodice who
blesses her and she immediately wakes up from what
becomes known as her “usual state”.
• At 19, a cholera epidemic hits Corato and Luisa
accepts 3 days of continuous suffering and the
• Fr. Michele De Benedittis becomes Luisa’s confessor.
• Luisa is unable to eat and if she eats, she will bring it
all back up, and the food is always fragrant.
• Luisa offers herself as “victim soul” in reparation for
the war in Africa.
First Mystical Marriage
• At 23, Jesus kisses Luisa and gives her a ring that He
takes from inside His chest, and the war with Africa
• Thru the mystical marriage Luisa and Jesus will ﬁnd the
perfect “union of wills”.
• Desiring to be united with Jesus, Luisa starts leaving
her body to be with him. In these ecstasies, Luisa learns
about the great evils of man.
• The nuptials occur on Oct. 21, 1888. Jesus takes Luisa’s
heart, puriﬁes it (from the fommes peccatti) and gives it
Second Mystical Marriage
• Luisa loses consciousness
and the Holy Trinity descends
into her heart and “takes
possession of it” and “form
their dwelling” in it, p.71.
• Luisa feels “divinized”, she
no longer lives, but the Holy
Trinity lives in Luisa. She can
hear and see the three Divine
Marriage of the Cross
• At 25, on the day of the Exaltation of the Holy
Cross, Luisa receives the complete cruciﬁxion with
invisible stigmas, crown of thorns and her heart is
pierced with a lance, p.76.
• Luisa describes it as: “unspeakable pains” and
“indescribable happiness and joy”.
• One morning, Jesus takes Luisa’s heart and puts it
in his own heart. Jesus then exhales “three breaths
of light” that take the place of her heart and give her
"My daughter, why do you fear? Don’t you know that for each
word on my Passion, for each thought, compassion, reparation,
memory of my pains - as many ways of electric communication
open between Me and the soul, and therefore the soul keeps
adorning herself with as many different beauties?”
Jesus to S.G. Luisa Piccarreta. Book of Heaven. Vol. 12, July 12, 1918.
• At 33, Luisa is granted an indult from Pope Leo XIII
to celebrate mass in her room. This way, Luisa can
remain in bed full time as a victim soul.
The cross of writing
• Feb 28, 1899, Fr. Genaro de Gennaro orders Luisa to
begin writing. Luisa had a ﬁrst grade education.
• Luisa writes 36 volumes in the form of a Diary until Dec
28, 1938. The ﬁrst 18 volumes have the Nihil Obstat from
Saint Annibale Di Francia and the imprimatur by
Archbishop Giuseppe Maria Leo.
• Luisa Writes: “Christmas Novena” from when she was 17.
• “The Hours of the Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ”.
• “The Virgin Mary in the Kingdom of the Divine Will”.
• “The Rounds of the Soul in the Divine Will”.
A day in the life of Luisa
• 6 a.m. her confessor would arrive bedside. Luisa
was found curled up tightly and she could not be
straightened out, or lifted from her bed, as she
was like a big piece of lead. Luisa would come
back to life once her confessor would make the
sign of the cross on the back of her hand.
• Afterwards, her confessor would read the writings
from the previous night. Them, mass. After
Communion, Luisa would remain in thanksgiving
fro 2-3 hours.
• Then, Luisa would start
working on her lace-making. In
the afternoon, something to eat
was brought in but she quickly
• Then she meditated for a few
• Luisa would work until 10 p.m.
• At 10 p.m. she would begin
writing until midnight, or later.
• Finally, Luisa would enter her
Saint Annibale Di Francia
• Meets Luisa in 1911 and urges
her to write the Hours of the
• 1915, publishes “The Hours of
the Passion of Our Lord Jesus
• Censor of the ﬁrst 18 vols.
• Dies on June 1, 1927.
• Declared Saint in 1990 by
Saint John Paul II.
Writings of Luisa
• With the death of St. Annibale, the publication of
Luisa’s writings comes to a halt.
• In 1930, Vols 1-4 are published but not received
favorably due to Luisa’s intimacies with Jesus.
• Some doubts regarding the economic nature of the
printing and other issues are raised with the Sacred
Congregation of the Holy Ofﬁce at the Vatican.
• Other controversies regarding Luisa’s unique and
special mission also arise.
A terrible storm
• 1938, canonical investigation conﬁscates the
manuscripts and Holy Ofﬁce places the writings in
the Index of prohibited books.
• The condemnation of the writings is accepted by
Luisa with much suffering, although she states:
“the good must die in order to rise again.”
• Out of obedience, Luisa stops writing in 1938.
Luisa died on March 4th, 1947 at the age of 81.
• Upon her death, Luisa’s body did not develop
rigor mortis. Many people came to pay her
respects and they could move her head, arms,
hands and ﬁngers.
• Luisa remained exposed on her deathbed for 4
days with no sign of corruption. Luisa appeared
alive, as if she was sleeping.
• Luisa “the Saint” received a digniﬁed funeral
procession ﬁt for a queen.
Luisa’s last words, to her confessor,
Don Benedetto Calvi, were:
“Now I die with greater contentment,
because the Divine Will has consoled me more than usual
with Its presence in these last few moments of my life.
Now I see a long, beautiful and spacious road, all
illuminated by an inﬁnite number of resplendent suns –
Oh, yes, I recognize them!
They are all my acts done in the Divine Will!
This is the road that I must now take; it is the road that the
Divine Will has prepared for me. It’s the road of my victory:
it’s the way of my glory, which will unite me with
the immense happiness of the Divine Will.
It’s my road; it’s the road that I have prepared for you.
It’s the road that I will keep reserved for all the souls who
will ever want to live in the Divine Will.”
After her death
• The writings continue to spread through small study groups
linked to the work of St. Padre Pio (1952, 1972).
• Several Theologians reviewed the writings and the ﬁrst 19
volumes were translated and spread throughout the world
without the authorization of the Archdiocese of Trani.
• 1986 the Association “Luisa Piccarreta - Little Children of
the Divine Will” is formed.
• 1994 opening of the diocesan Inquiry into the Life, Virtue
and Reputation of Sanctity of the Servant of God.
• 1996 Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith granted the
photocopy of the volumes of Luisa’s diary.
Since the year 2000
• Archbishop Mons. Juan Bautista Pichierri
accelerates the diocesan investigation.
• 2005 documentation to the Congregation for the
Causes of Saints is delivered.
• 2010 Association “Luisa Piccarreta publishes:
http://en.luisapiccarretaofﬁcial.org starts providing
tours of the house of Luisa.
• 2015 IV International Congress to celebrate Luisa’s
• Luisa is a normal person whose journey with God was
outside the norm.
• Luisa's diary teaches us that living in the Divine Will
means “living with just one will”, God’s Will.
• The ﬁrst step the Divine Will takes in the soul is to
create "divine order" in the tendencies, passions and
• Doing the Will of God means living “with two wills”.
Many will cry out, “Who will free me from this body of
death - that is, from my will that wants to bring death to
the good I want to do?”
Living in the Divine Will
• “Living in the Divine Will” is to live “like a son” while
“doing the Will of God” is to live “like a servant”.
• The son owns the father’s goods, takes care of the
father, loves him and orders the servants.
• The servants receive orders, they work and sacriﬁce
for a pay, as long as they work.
• “Living in the Divine Will” is the life that brings people
much closer to the life of the blessed in heaven.
Gift of Living in the Divine Will
• Our Lord solemnly declares that this is a “gift” that
He wants to give “in these sad times”.
• Jesus: “Am I perhaps not the master who gives
whatever I want, whenever I want and to whomever I
• “Living in the Divine Will of Jesus” is the “greatest
gift” that He wants to give people.
• It is an “overﬂow” of His mercy, because it is His
nature to want “to splurge even more in pouring out
His love. p220.”
Journey into the Divine Will…
• First Step: “Doing the Will of God”: Live in grace, follow
His commandments, p. 222.
• Second Step: “Living in His Divine Will”: like Mary, “May
it be done to me” (Lk 1:38) and Jesús, “Not my will but
yours be done” (Lk 22:42).
• This “gift of gifts,” is that we are not just doing what God
wants us to do, but that we let His Will become our will
and His life our life so as to live and reign with and in His
• What is new is the continuous exchange between the
human and Divine Will, like two hearts beating in unison.
Communion of Love
• The union of two wills (divine and human) forms “another
Jesus”, not by nature, but by the gift of grace, St. John:
“because as He is, so are we in this world” (1Jn 4:17),
• It will be this communion of love that will make Luisa
become ‘another humanity’ for Christ.
• It is precisely Jesus’ humanity that is the point of departure
for her spiritual journey.
• The Eucharist and The Hours of the Passion led her to a
deep puriﬁcation and perfect consummation with Jesus,
which is sealed with three mystical marriages.
I am nothing, God is All, Father I love you;
Come Divine Will,
✤ To think in my mind.
✤ To circulate in my blood.
✤ To look in my eyes.
✤ To listen in my ears.
✤ To speak in my voice.
✤ To breathe in my breathing.
✤ To beat in my heart.
✤ To move in my motion.
✤ To suffer in my suffering; and may my soul
consumed and fused with your will be the living cruciﬁx
immolated for the Glory of the Father.
✤ To pray in me, and then offer this prayer to yourself as
mine to satisfy for the prayers of all and to give to the
Father the Glory that all creatures should give Him.
A new understanding…
• Luisa understands how Jesus operated entirely in the
Will of the Father, His every thought, word and deed.
His natural life ended only when everything in the
Father’s Will was accomplished.
• Luisa understands how “the divinity can do many acts
in one single instant”, in this way Jesus “redid for
everyone in general and for each one individually”.
• In this way, Jesus repaired each and everyone of our
acts that should have gloriﬁed the Father in Heaven,
Virgin Mary, Queen of the Divine WIl
• The Blessed Virgin Mary became Luisa’s role model in
learning how “to live in the Divine Will” and making
Luisa, the “little daughter of the Divine Will” p. 226.
• Mary’s maternal love reached so far as to include
Jesus’ every thought, breath and heartbeat which she
hid in her heart.
• Jesus wanted His mother to become the mother of all
people, one of the greatest graces that He gave us.
• Jesus will share His place in Mary’s maternal heart
with whoever decides to live in His Divine Will.
Mission of the S.G. Luisa Piccarreta
• “Victim” together with Jesús in the work of
• First in receiving the gift of “living in the Divine Will.”
• Depository of the truths of “Divina Will”.
• First ring, onto which a “multitude of souls” will
clasp that living in the Divine Will, will “redo all the
acts” to give glory to God in everyone’s name.
• Endured all suffering for the glorious coming on
earth of the Kingdom of the Divine Will.
This brief summary of the ofﬁcial biography of the
S.G. Luisa Piccarreta has been brought to you by:
You are cordially invited to join this study group
of the writings of the S.G. Luisa Piccarreta.
For more information regarding the cause of beatiﬁcation
of the S.G. Luisa Piccarreta, please visit:
Your prayers and donations for the beatiﬁcation of the
S.G. Luisa Piccarreta are greatly appreciated.
Prayer for the Gloriﬁcation of the Servant of God Luisa Piccarreta
Oh august and Most Holy Trinity, Father, Son and Holy Spirit,
we praise and thank You for the gift of the holiness of Your faithful servant
She lived, Oh Father, in Your Divine Will, becoming under the action
of the Holy Spirit, in conformity with Your Son,
obedient even to the death on the cross, victim and host pleasing to You,
thus cooperating in the work of Redemption of mankind.
Her virtues of obedience, humility, supreme love for Christ and the Church,
lead us to ask You for the gift of her gloriﬁcation on earth,
so that Your Glory may shine before all, and Your Kingdom of truth, justice and love,
may spread all over the world in the particular charisma of the
Fiat Voluntas tua sicut in Caelo et in terra.
We appeal to her merits to obtain from You, Most Holy Trinity the particular grace
for which we pray to You with the intention to fulﬁll Your Divine Will. Amen.
+Archbishop Givoan Battista Pichierri
Three Glory be,
Queen of all Saints, pray for us.
IN THE WILL OF GOD! ALWAYS!