Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) for disaster relief, environmental monitoring and precision agriculture.
Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) for disaster relief,
environmental monitoring and precision agriculture.
Philippines and Hawaii
“Prediction: By year 2020, UAS will emerge as the primary collection platform for
remotely sensed data.” USGS National UAS Office.
• Public Organizations should acquire a COA (Certificate of
Authorization) to fly UAV in designated areas.
• Crew must be properly trained and certified regarding
aviation regulations, medical etc.
• Federal Judge from the NTSB ruled against FAA in March
2014, regarding regulation of UAS.
• Congress has not passed any laws specifically regulating
UAS, but FAA has promised to pass a law regarding small
UAS sometime in 2015… or by 2025.
Hours DecadesDays Weeks Months Years
.01 m 0.1 m 10 m 100 m 1000 m1 m
Free Low High Very HighModerate
Max. Spatial Coverage
Rotary wing UAV
2X 5,000 Mah
Go Pro Cameras
2X 2,200 Mah
Payload Canon SX260
• Yolanda impact on
• Philippines facing a rice
shortage this year.
• 85,004 homes damaged in
UAS team meets with Mayor
• Leaves start to yellow around
edges and bunch together.
• Plant stops producing fruit.
• Disease can spread to nearby
• State lacks resources to contain
spread of virus.
BBTV Detection with UAS
5 m 5 m 5 m
Globe imagery from
30-m Landsat 8
Early Detection of Banana Bunchy Top Virus (BBTV)
Healthy Banana Field Hamakua Springs,
Suspected Infected Banana Patch,
Infected Keiki, remain stunted.
Aphids, spreading BBTV Virus.
Feature Detection with Visible RGB Imagery
Dr. Ryan Perroy taking field samples with spectral radiometer.
• Rare plant survey, fence line assessment,
forest biomass estimation.
• University of Hawaii at Hilo FAA Certificate
of Authorization (COA) for Pu’uwa’awa’a
• First University in the State of Hawaii to
receive a COA.
Environmental Monitoring in HETF
Pu’uwa’awa’a Makai Subunit
90% of commercial UAV Companies World
Wide are small start ups, not big aerospace.
Please contact us for research related collaborations!
Website: www.spatial.hawaii.edu Ph: 808.932.7276