Are We Fighting!
Actually, We Are!
Freedom From Foreign Oil!
• The goal of 2007’s Energy Independence and
Security Act (EISA 2007) is “to move the United
States toward greater energy independence and
security, to increase the production of clean
renewable fuels, to protect consumers, to increase
the efficiency of products, buildings, and vehicles, to
promote research on and deploy greenhouse gas
capture and storage options, and to improve the
energy performance of the Federal Government, and
for other purposes”!
• Main goal is to eliminate dependence on foreign oil!
• Provides significant incentives for plug-in and hybrid
• Increases Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE)
standards—35 mpg fleet-wide by 2020!
• Requires 25% better efficiency for light bulbs by
2012 (effectively eliminating incandescent bulbs)
and 200% better efficiency by 2020!
• And pork…gotta have pork!
• All of which means SMART GRID!!
What the Smart Grid is NOT!
• NOT a smart meter!
– NOT Automated Meter Reading (AMR)!
– NOT Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI)!
• NOT the Home Area Network!
– NOT ZigBee, Z-Wave, Wi-Fi, 900 MHz, Bluetooth, or WiMAX!
– NOT Ethernet, HomePlug, HomeGrid, MoCA, or HomePNA!
• NOT a bunch of other technologies and capabilities,
all of which are are components of the Smart Grid!
• Tonight, we’ll talk about the Smart Grid from inside
What the Smart Grid IS!
• Provides quality power meeting 21st century needs!
• Accommodates all generation and storage options!
• Enables new products, services, and markets!
• Provides operational resilience against physical and
• Optimizes asset utilization and operating efficiency!
• Enables active participation by consumers in
A digitized and intelligent version of the current power grid!
Adapted from IEEE P2030!
Key Smart Grid Drivers!
• Utilities want more information from customers to
better forecast how generation will meet actual
• Consumers need real-time, appliance-level pricing
and demand response information, from utilities and
from third parties, in order to alter behavior, save
money, and go green!
• Governments want to encourage realization of
environmental benefits by reducing noxious
emissions (and votes…definitely votes)!
• One key capability—Demand Response (DR)!
• “Reduction in the consumption of electric energy by customers
from their expected consumption in response to an increase in
the price of electric energy or to incentive payments designed
to induce lower consumption of electric energy”!
– Customer alters consumption due to direction from someone else!
– Includes rebates, compensation, and direct load control of
– Customer alters consumption based on retail rate design that
changes over time!
– Includes time-of-use (TOU) pricing!
From FERC Order 719!
How Will We Get There?!
• Government and regulatory!
– NIST, FERC, NARUC, DoE, States, ETSI, CEN, et.al.!
• Standards Development Organizations!
– IEEE, ITU, ISO, IEC!
– OpenSG, SAE, AHAM, SEP!
• Many, many other standards, regulatory, policy, and
grass roots efforts—including the Green Technology
Organization of Greater Chicago and Citizens Utility
Government & Regulatory!
• National Institute of Standards & Technology!
• Federal Energy Regulatory Commission!
• National Association of Regulatory Utility
• Department of Energy!
• Individual States!
• According to EISA 2007, NIST has "primary responsibility to coordinate
development of a framework that includes protocols and model
standards for information management to achieve interoperability of
smart grid devices and systems…”!
• Smart Grid Interoperability Panel & Governing Board (SGIP/GB)!
– 620 Member Organizations!
– 25 member governance committee !
• Domain Expert Working Groups (DEWGs)!
– Provide analysis in particular application domains; longer-term horizon!
– Identify gaps and overlaps!
– Develop use cases and white papers!
• Priority Action Plans (PAPs)!
– Address gaps where standards (or extensions) are needed; shorter-term
horizon (think tiger team)!
– Try to disambiguate when multiple standards overlap!
SGIP Governing Board!
0 "Meter Upgradeability Standard! 9 "Standard DR and DER Signals!
1 "Role of IP in the Smart Grid! 10 "Standard Energy Usage Information!
2 "Wireless Communications for the 11 "Common Object Models for Electric
Smart Grid! Transportation!
3 "Common Price Communication 12 "IEC 61850 Objects/DNP3 Mapping!
Model! 13 "Time Synchronization, IEC 61850
4 "Common Scheduling Mechanism! Objects/IEEE C37.118
5 "Standard Meter Data Profiles! Harmonization!
6 "Common Semantic Model for Meter 14 "Transmission and Distribution
Data Tables! Power Systems Model Mapping!
7 "Electric Storage Interconnection 15 "Harmonize Power Line Carrier
Guidelines! Standards for Appliance
8 CIM for Distribution Grid Communications in the Home!
Management! 16 Wind Plant Communications!
17 Facility Smart Grid Information!
Other Government & Regulatory!
• Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC)!
– Creates laws based on NIST’s guidelines!
– Wrote the National Action Plan on Demand Response!
• National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners (NARUC)!
– Regulates telecom, energy, and water!
– Consists of representatives from all states, D.C., Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands!
– Governs Energy Star, promote Energy Savers, will be involved in Home Star!
– Has stood up ARPA-E to motivate and fund U.S. energy research!
– Individual states have taken a wide range of steps in Smart Grid, with Texas
and California leading the way!
– TX has decoupled T&D from retail; CA has just closed a round of comments
on proceeding R0812009!
– IL isn’t necessarily behind, but isn’t making the type of progress!
some other states are making!
Standards Development Organizations
and Industry Alliances!
SDOs! Industry Efforts!
• IEEE! • OpenSG!
• ITU! • SAE!
• ISO! • AHAM!
• IEC! • SEP!
MANY other efforts underway around the world!
Home Energy Management Systems!
• In the beginning, there was home
automation, and it was good…kind of!
• Expensive, proprietary systems were the
domain of the high-end!
• Inexpensive, reasonably interoperable
systems were the domain of the hobbyist!
• Two keys to success!
– Plug and play (not plug and pray)!
– Cost/payback equation must work!
Home Energy Management Systems!
• Designed to enable better consumer control
of energy use!
• Typically includes!
– In-home display (IHD) or smart phone app!
– “Black box” that looks very similar to your existing
broadband router or residential gateway!
– Method to measure and control plug load!
(e.g., smart power strips)!
– Mechanism to store, visualize, and analyze data!
– May have a demand response component!
What Does a HEMS Look Like?!
Graphic Courtesy of BusinessWeek!
Other Discussion Topics!
• How do we reconcile the need to reduce
carbon with the way IOUs earn revenue and
• You and your neighbor both charging your
PEVs at dinnertime may cause sparks…
• EPA/Energy Star has begun a new Climate
Controls initiative, replacing their earlier
programmable thermostat work !
– Join SGIP!
– Find a PAP!
• Smart Grid Knowledge!
– Search on “DoE Smart Grid” to find DoE’s “The Smart Grid:
– Hit smartgridlibrary.com to demystify the world of
– Hit powertochoose.org to see what a deregulated future
may look like here in Illinois!
GTO’s Vision and Mission!
– GTO will be the leading organization of Green Technology
awareness and initiatives bringing the required knowledge and
capabilities to the community and businesses.!
– Being Green is no longer a nice-to-have or a future-think; it is a
mandate for the here and now, and as such individuals, businesses,
schools, government bodies and all establishments need a better
understanding of what being Green is and how and what to
implement to achieve a more eco-friendly life/business.!
– To meet these needs of the Greater Chicago area the Green
Technology Organization (GTO) of Greater Chicago has been
formed as a not-for-profit organization focused on advancing the
knowledge of members, businesses and the general public through
networking, education and improving the visibility of green
technology businesses within the region.!