A1 Reasons for taking part in activity Candidates should be able to:• i recognise how physical activity:• – helps the individual to feel good and look good• – enhances body shape• – contributes to good health and enjoyment of life
• ii understand how physical activity can help to relieve stress/tension and stress related illness
• iii recognise and explain how membership of sporting clubs and participation in sporting activities stimulates:• – co-operation• – competition• – physical challenge• – aesthetic appreciation
• iv recognise and explain how physical activity encourages the development of friendships and social mixing.
• Individuals take part in physical activity because it brings about benefits.• Can you think of any?• If we had to categorise them what would be your categories?
• These benefits can be categorised into 3 sections;
Mental• Refers to the mind and our psychological health
Physical• Refers to the body and our physical health
Social• The way we interact with others and our social life.
I want to lose weightSo it’s a physical reason
I I get very stressed at work and want to relax So it’s a mental reason
I need a new physical challengeSo it’s a mentalor physicalreason
I play because I’m good at itSo it’s a mental reason
Gives me bettermuscle definition So it’s a physical reason
Gives me better Ishape/ look goodSo it’s a physical reason
IExercise makesme feel lesstense So it’s a mental reason
I play sport to I meet more friendsSo it’s a social reason
I exercise toimproves my IfitnessSo it’s a physical reason
Playing sportI stops me getting into trouble So it’s a social reason
Sports a Greatway of meetingsomeone of the So it’s a socialopposite sex reason
Healthy Active lifestyle• A lifestyle that contributes positively to physical, mental, and social wellbeing, and includes regular exercise and physical activity
Benefits of a healthy active life style• Increase FitnessStrengthStamina/EnduranceLose weightMuscle Tone
Feel Good• Exercise produces SEROTONIN!• This is a hormone that makes you feel good!!!• So exercise not only improves their physical fitness it improves your mental fitness
Relieve Stress• Provide a distraction from whatever is causing you stress
Increase Self Esteem and Confidence• Overcoming a physical/mental challenge can increase self esteem and confidence
Improve Health• People who are fitter recover faster from common and serious illness.
For Enjoyment• Most people who exercise normally enjoy what they are doing
For Mental Challnge• Most forms of exercise offer some kind of mental challenge to overcome.• EG the thought of training for the marathon can be a daunting experience and provide a large mental challenge
Apply KnowledgeSomewhere we will be able to fit all these reasons for taking part in physical activity into the (complete w/s 12 TRF – p56) TS04
Veteran men and women take part in sportAge is a factor that affects performance TS04